Reflecting on the Windows 8 disaster

krutoi

Reaction score
from the article at Windows Secrets:

"As you probably know, I am not one of Windows 8′s biggest fans. And that opinion comes from long experience with the OS. I wrote a thousand-page book about Windows 8 and another thousand-page tome about Windows 8.1. I’ve used Win8 all day, every day, for almost two years.

Based on that experience, I can’t recommend Windows 8 to experienced Windows users — unless they’re springing for a new touch-capable tablet or they really want to try something quite different from classic Windows. In truth, the vast majority of mouse-and-keyboard Windows users I know are still better served with Windows 7.

I don’t think relatively inexperienced Windows users are well served by Win8, either. (Yes, of the approximately 1.4 billion Windows users on the planet, there are a few novice Windows users left.) Those who know a little bit about Windows often get hog-tied trying to figure out Metro; those who don’t know anything about Windows but are comfortable with their smartphones are usually better off with an iPad or an Android tablet — in my not-so-humble opinion."

It appears that Microsoft is building three different versions of Windows, with a Spring 2015 delivery. As ZDNet’s Mary Jo Foley reports, the new Windows effort — code-named “Threshold” — consists of three parts:

A “Modern” consumer version of Windows, available only via the Windows Store, will run on hardware that we would currently identify as phones, tablets, phablets, and maybe even ultrabooks. There’s lots of speculation about whether Windows 9 “Mod” will run only on ARM-equipped devices (as is currently the case with Windows RT) or on both ARM and Intel hardware. Presumably, it’ll be touch-friendly.

A traditional consumer version will be suited more for mouse/keyboard users. It will be regularly updated through the Windows Store. Based on Foley’s description, it isn’t clear whether the traditional consumer version will include a Metro side similar to the current Windows 8/8.1. I hope Microsoft develops a technology similar to Stardock’s ModernMix (site), which lets you run Metro apps inside their own windows on the Windows desktop.

An Enterprise version will be mouse- and keyboard-dependent, but it won’t be updated every three or so days. This is the Windows 7 replacement, at least to my way of thinking. If it looks and acts like an improved version of Windows 7, that’s the version I’d recommend for just about every experienced Windows user.

Keep in mind: All this information is based on leaked and uncorroborated reports that might represent Microsoft’s current planning. There’s no assurance that any of this leaked information will come to fruition.

But given that bit of preview — and given the team that’s putting the next Windows together — I’m hopeful that Windows 9 will have one flavor that looks like a better Windows 7 and another flavor that works great on phones and tablets. And that they arrive in time to plug the whooshing sound emanating from Windows 8.

full text here: http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/turmoil-at-microsoft-implications-for-windows-users/

Back