Recovering data from old CD-Rs

HCHTech

Reaction score
I just finished a project recovering data from old CDs for a client, and thought I would summarize the process.

All of the disks were burned with some unknown program back in the 90s - so 22 to 25 years old.

None of the disks were physically damaged in any way that I could see, but most of them would not read correctly in Windows. There were 14 disks in all, 4 of them read fine straight away and I copied the data without incident.

I carefully cleaned the others with a rag dampened with mild soapy water. They all had paper labels on them (yuk), so I wanted to not destroy those if possible. This allowed me to read and save 2 more disks.

Next, I decided to try a different CD Drive. I mounted a brand new drive in my bench machine, and tried again. 2 more of the disks yielded to this process, 8 down, 6 to go. I don't know why a different drive made a difference. Something something, laser alignment something, I guess.

I then wondered if the speed of the drive had anything to do with it. I dug through my graveyard of broken computer dreams and found the oldest CD drive I had, probably early 2000s, I'd guess. It was IDE. One of my bench machines had an IDE header on the motherboard, so I cleaned up the drive, especially the read lens, mounted it and tried all of the remaining disks. I was getting into this project now and feeling very clever. I must have told the universe this, because none of the remaining disks would read in that old drive. Fail.

I took a break for lunch and it finally hit me to try ddrescue - don't know why my brain didn't offer this up sooner - data is data, no matter the medium...right?. One quick google later, I found this blog entry talking about ddrescue settings for CDs.

To my surprise, first passes at least are pretty fast - probably just because the data set is so small compared to hard drives. Anyway 20-30 minutes later, I had about 90% of the data from the first disk I tried.

All in all, it took a few of days of ddrescue runs, but we were able to get approximately 98% of the data from the remaining 6 disks. I put everything on an external hard disk and delivered it back to a very grateful client...along with an invoice, of course. :D

I had a project like this about 5 years ago. What I found that worked was to install Windows 95 in a VirtualBox VM. Once I did this I was able to read all the disks on my new hardware without any issue.
It had to do with the formatting of the disc when burned in Win95 that was not readable by Windows 7 which was the current OS at the time.
Strange how things change & we might not even notice.

Back