Recommend Tools & Tips for DC Jack Soldering

Appletax

Reaction score
This is an extension of this previous thread of mine: https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/best-30-solder-gun-for-dc-jack-repair.71966/#post-568362

I want to get into repairing DC jacks on laptops. It was recommended that I purchase a hot air reflow station. I watched some soldering videos and it appears that Kendal is a very popular brand. On Amazon I found a 2-in-1 Kendal station that has both a hot air reflow tool and solder iron. See here.

• The hot air tool can also be used to remove MacBook and smartphone screens.

I have never soldered before, but the following seems like a great soldering process: (**please critique**)

• Solder has flux in its core to make the metal clean, but additional flux paste should be brushed on the solder joint to make the solder joint even cleaner.
    • What do you recommend for flux paste?
  • Use the heat gun to melt all of the soldering joints.
  • Once the solder is molten, use a solder sucker to extract the old solder until you create a hole in the board where the joint was and can see through it. Add additional heat as needed to keep the solder molten.
  • Gently wiggle the old DC jack using needle-nose pliers and apply heat if necessary.
  • Clean the solder joints with rubbing alcohol and an anti-static bristle brush
  • Put the new jack in place. It has metal pieces that slip into the solder joint holes.
  • Add new solder beads using the soldering iron.
  • Put the thermal tape back in place.
  • Apply fresh flux paste.
  • Use the heat gun to melt the solder beads so they fill in the holes they were placed over.
  • Clean the solder joints again.
Got this info from this video
Capture.PNG
At what temperature and fan speed will I want to set the hot air flow gun and at which angle and distance will I want to use it?
Keep the tip clean while you work. Have a damp sponge handy to occasionally wipe your tip on while soldering to remove residues that collect. A properly cleaned tip is bright and shiny. Keeping the tip clean is important but constantly wiping it on a wet sponge can cause early tip failure. Excessive wiping causes the tip temperature to repeatedly rise and fall (cycle) and the different metal layers in the tip to repeatedly expand and contract. This leads to metal fatigue and ultimately tip failure where the copper core bubbles out. There are brass wool coils that are used like a sponge to wipe the tip off on as you solder and will not cool the tip.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some information about solder you might find useful

I was glad to find real tin-lead solder is still available! But reading the user reviews made me realize that some users were having problems because they don't fully understand solder and soldering. So here are a few tips some of you might find helpful:

1. Solder is used as a kind of glue to hold pieces of metal together and conduct electricity and heat between them.

2. To do this, you need to apply a metal that has a melting point lower than any of the metals being joined, else they will melt first.

3. For almost all electrical work, we could use lead, which is very cheap, but melts at about 328C (622F). Tin is expensive, but melts much more easily, at 232C (450F).

4. If we mix tin and lead together, we get an alloy which melts even more easily. It turns out that 60% tin and 40% alloy (60/40), like this solder, melts at 188C (370F). Even better, but more expensive and hard to find, is 63% tin and 37% lead, which melts at about 183C (361F). Plumbers use 50% tin and 50% lead alloy, melting at about 214C (418ºF). Avoid it for electrical/electronic work.

5. To get a good solder joint, the parts to be joined MUST be clean! Use a wire brush or sandpaper (not steel wool, bits of which can drop on your work and create short circuits.

6. Wrap the CLEAN wires together or clamp your CLEAN work so it will not move after you remove the soldering iron. Press the hot iron against the joint and touch the solder wire to the iron tip where it contacts the joint. Let a very small amount of solder melt and get drawn into the joint to help heat to travel into the joint. Then touch the solder to the part being soldered. To get a good joint, the JOINT, NOT THE IRON must melt the solder. The solder MUST "wet" the joint and flow into the joint smoothly. Move the iron away carefully and let the solder cool. It takes a few seconds for the melted solder to cool. During this time, the alloy is slushy, and movement before it cools will result in a weak, rough-looking "cold solder joint" which is unreliable and must be re-melted. Do not try to melt a blob of solder onto the iron's tip and carry it to the joint. The flux will be gone and the solder won't flow properly.

7. The slushy phase is very short for 60/40 solder, but can last for many seconds for 50/50. Plumbers used to take advantage of this to make "wipe joints" by wiping and forming the slushy solder with a rag as it cools. That is very seldom done these days--and NEVER in electronics. 63/37 solder goes from a liquid to a solid almost instantly, making cold joints rare. Buy it if you can; you use very little per joint in electronic work. I bought a 1-lb spool of it many years ago and still have most of it. I misplaced it recently, which is why I am here on Amazon.

8. Flux: Most metals quickly react with air to form an oxide film, starting as soon as they are cleaned. Aluminum is a very active metal, which would be unusable outdoors if its oxide film were not protecting it from corrosion. It makes soldering it very difficult, so it's usually crimped or welded.. Copper and brass oxide films will also prevent solder from adhering, so even if you CLEAN before soldering, you need a flux to dissolve and prevent oxidation at the joint during soldering. Acid flux is used in plumbing as it is very effective, but it is corrosive and must be removed after the joint is made. Rosin-based flux is less corrosive and can be left in place. It is usually supplied within the center core of electronic solder such as this, so you don't need to buy a can of it unless you are plumbing.

The secret of soldering: Lots of heat, for a very short time. Trying to protect parts from heat by using a low-temperature or undersized iron will actually result in MORE overheating of the parts because the heat will have more time to travel to the part even if the solder joint is unsuccessful. Do this: Use a good temperature-controlled soldering iron such as aWeller W60P 60Watts/120V Controlled Output Soldering Iron with a 1/16" or 1/8" tip for electronics or up to a 1/4" tip for heavier work. I use 600F temperature tips for 60/40 solder, though 700F might be better for lead-free solder. Keep the tip clean by melting a bit of solder on it and wiping it off quickly with a damp paper towel or sponge to get a smooth silvery surface. Modern irons come with iron-plated tips for long life. NEVER try to file them like you grandfather did!

If you are a newbie, you ought to get a training kit to start. I have been buying Elenco AmeriKit Learn to Solder Kits for my kids, nieces, nephews, and friends who want to learn to solder. These come with decent tools (though the soldering iron is not going to last 40 years like my W-60.) There is an excellent instruction sheet for soldering and desoldering, with a simple circuit board and parts to work with and hopefully build a working gadget. All at a remarkably low price.

Last edited:
You asked for my thoughts and I'm happy to offer them; here they are:...
...it appears that Kendal is a very popular brand. On Amazon I found a 2-in-1 Kendal station that has both a hot air reflow tool and solder iron. See here.
Looks like a nice enough station. It has the handle design I like, rather than the type that has the air pump inside the station. The difference is in the heating element design, which means fewer hot spots if you decide to use it with nozzles for BGA work.
I have never soldered before, but the following seems like a great soldering process: (**please critique**)
  • Apply heat resistant tape to the areas around the DC jack to prevent heat damage to other components.
    I don't apply heat-resistant tape to the MB unless it has tiny components I'm afraid of dislodging. In that case, I use Kapton tape, not the stuff you contemplate (which can be a b!tch to remove).
  • Put fresh solder onto the solder joint to help transmit heat using the soldering iron.
    Sure. But if you are using hot air for removal, no need to add solder. Just do that if using an iron and solder wick.
  • Solder has flux in its core to make the metal clean, but additional flux paste should be brushed on the solder joint to make the solder joint even cleaner.
    • What do you recommend for flux paste?
    I usually use liquid rosin flux, in a bottle with a brush built into the lid. Usually, I don't use flux when removing things, just when attaching them.
  • Use the heat gun to melt all of the soldering joints
    Yeah, move it around to try to get everything heated to the melting point at the same time. Experiment with different nozzle sizes until you find what works best. Sometimes a narrow nozzle focusing on through-holes works best, sometimes a broad stream of hot air. Be sure to just let the jack fall out, don't force it or you may rip jack leads and leave pieces in the MB.
  • Once the solder is molten, use a solder sucker to extract the old solder until you create a hole in the board where the joint was and can see through it. Add additional heat as needed to keep the solder molten.
If you are going to use a "hot air tool," use it for the whole job, heating the board and jack until it just falls out. No need to suck up solder before it falls out. Suck up the solder with solder sucker or solder wick. I use an Edsyn solder sucker but that one looks fine. I cut a small notch into the lip so I can fit it snugly against through-hole leads. Getting all the solder out of tiny through holes is often a challenge and frustrating. Sometimes, I use a stainless steel dental tool that I heat with the hot air tool so I can force it into the hole once the solder is molten, leave it to cool, then remove it leaving a clean hole. A real, heated solder-sucking tool/gun is worth its weight in gold for this.
  • Gently wiggle the old DC jack using needle-nose pliers and apply heat if necessary.
    Of course. I place the MB upside-down so it falls out easily. Don't overheat the MB until it oozes black or you risk destroying the MB.
  • Clean the solder joints with rubbing alcohol and an anti-static bristle brush
    I clean up with IPA or SuperWash (same thing in a compressed air canister) but use Q-tips rather than brush. Take pride in a nice clean work area before installing the new jack.
  • Put the new jack in place. It has metal pieces that slip into the solder joint holes.
  • Add new solder beads using the soldering iron.
Sure. Keep the soldering iron on joints a little longer than you would normally, to ensure the solder liquifies completely. Otherwise, you may have a less than perfect joint.
  • Put the thermal tape back in place.
  • Apply fresh flux paste.
  • Use the heat gun to melt the solder beads so they fill in the holes they were placed over.
  • Clean the solder joints again.
The need for tape is rare. Use your soldering iron to attach the new jack, not the heat gun. Yup, leave a nice clean work area on the MB.
Got this info from this video

View attachment 6376

At what temperature and fan speed will I want to set the hot air flow gun and at which angle and distance will I want to use it?
Haven't watched the video but look at as many as you can find to see how others work. You have to develop your own technique through trial and error, using scrap MBs. You will probably find it takes way longer than you expected but don't crank the heat too high. I use 350-450C with medium speed (depends on your device but don't have it too high or you blow components off the MB. If to low, the gun overheats).

Keep the tip clean while you work. Have a damp sponge handy to occasionally wipe your tip on while soldering to remove residues that collect. A properly cleaned tip is bright and shiny. Keeping the tip clean is important but constantly wiping it on a wet sponge can cause early tip failure. Excessive wiping causes the tip temperature to repeatedly rise and fall (cycle) and the different metal layers in the tip to repeatedly expand and contract. This leads to metal fatigue and ultimately tip failure where the copper core bubbles out. There are brass wool coils that are used like a sponge to wipe the tip off on as you solder and will not cool the tip.
I don't like the wet pads because they cool down the iron tip and are a mess to deal with. The shavings work great. Shake out the shavings to loosen them up and clear out the accumulated solder once in a (long) while.
The best advice I can offer, is to practice, practice, practice. Have fun! :)

Last edited:
For your "I have never soldered / desoldered before" statement - Practice, practice, practice BEFORE you take on jobs like this. Find parts that are difficult to remove from old electronics boards and practice on them FIRST!

And do it with just a good soldering iron, a stand for your iron, a damp sponge to keep the tip clean, good rosin-core solder, solder wick, small container of rosin (I don't use one, however) and a good solder sucker. Learn how to use all of these items in conjunction with one another and you will do OK. Sure all of those fancy tools are nice to have, but I don't think they are really all that necessary.

And besides, if you lay out a good chunk of change on the equipment and find out that you are terrible at soldering, now what?

Last edited:
Yep! And truth is most dc jacks are now the cable type anyway.
Very true. I've done thousands of motherboard jacks in the past and the switch to cable/harness jacks is a blessing.

I hate hot air for jacks. I like to clean the through holes before installing a new jack AND so many motherboards
have plastic parts too close to the jack, so you have to get an iron for this.

Tips I can offer.....

I would emphasis that you want to add new, fresh soldering to anything you
are trying to desolder. It helps a lot.

When using a solder sucker, I've had better success with leaving the iron touched
to the join I'm trying to clean up. If you can angle the iron, so that you can put the nozzle
of the solder sucker right up next to the iron, you can often clean that hole almost perfectly.
I had much worse results when I try to move the iron away and quickly put the solder sucker
nozzle in place.

Use the right tip, and use good quality solder. You want a tip that's large enough to transfer
heat quick enough to heat the joint without overheating the components in that area.

And lastly... as others have said... practice! Grab a few junko or non wanted motherboards and
practice removing components of different types. Get some new caps and practice soldering them
into a bread board. Your first stab shouldn't be on a customers board!

Hot air station for laptop jacks? Save your money, get a decent soldering iron, I like Hakkos, get some decent gel flux, I like Chipquick SMD4300TF10 and get yourself some Chip-quik sticks of low melt. Chip-quik melts at 53C, compare that to no-lead solder that melts at 213+C or Kester lead solder that melts around 165C if my memory serves me correctly. To remove a jack for me today is a 3 minute job.

Set your iron for around 700F, squirt a little glob of flux on each pin, mix in the low melt solder on each pin and it will stay liquid for about 30 seconds. Plenty of time to get all the pins hot and liquid and just pull off the jack. The nice thing about low-melt is it's easy to suck out of pin holes. Just keep the iron on the hole, smash your suction device down on the tip and push the button, most of the time it will pull the solder cleanly out of the hole. Using low melt saves you from heating the PCB to extreme temperatures. Saves you from unsoldering components nearby as well. Hot air is probably the last thing I'd recommend for pcb jack replacements. Of course if components are really close to the jack, you should tape them off to keep the low melt away from them. Low melt also cleans up nicely with a q-tip as well. No need to torch boards anymore with ridiculous heat from irons or hot air stations. Chip-quik will save your bacon and is super easy to use.

When going back together, clean up the area with some alcohol to remove the old flux, snap in the jack, apply fresh flux the pins and tack a few of them to hold it in place with some good Kester 63/37 leaded solder. Go back over them and flow them nicely. Kester 63/37 leaves some nice looking shiny joints.

Back