replace charger socket

johnrobert

Reaction score
I have to do a charger socket replacement on a Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBD
Can it be done without removing the motherboard all the sodering is done on the top to me it looks like it could, and would save a lot of work I don't have a solder station
Video below. There is no need to watch it all just fast forward so you can see the socket

If the jack is soldered on well it will need to be desoldered and resoldered onto, not a thing for the inexperienced. Others models do have the simple wired jack, this one does not.

So will need the board taken out and worked on to remove the current DC Jack, is a quick job. Though as you stated you have no solder experience would be better to outsource.

I do have some experience but no hot air gun I was planning to use a soldering iron and wick since it is only s
soldered on top thought it might be done, its for an old lady who has no money. wanting to keep cost down

I do have some experience but no hot air gun I was planning to use a soldering iron and wick since it is only s
soldered on top thought it might be done, its for an old lady who has no money. wanting to keep cost down
"its for an old lady who has no money. wanting to keep cost down"
Experience and History have shown that these are the jobs that always bite you

"its for an old lady who has no money. wanting to keep cost down"
Experience and History have shown that these are the jobs that always bite you

That really depends on how well you manage expectations, on the part of both yourself and the client. I've done these sorts of jobs in the past with "dirt simple" soldering and under the same sort of circumstances, but where I tell the client, point blank, that there is absolutely no guarantee of success. They've really got nothing to lose, because if it works (and it generally has) it allows them to kick the can down the road for a major outlay for a new machine, and if it doesn't, they're no worse off than they were at the outset.

I'd still do this sort of thing for certain clients if I can be sure that informed consent is possible to achieve and the client understands the repair might not be a success. When it is, they adore you, and often give you great word of mouth advertising (which is the very best kind).

for an old lady who has no money. wanting to keep cost down
Replace with refurbished Latitude or ThinkPad etc. There should be plenty available at low prices. Intel 8th gen or higher has Windows 11 support giving those laptops a longer supported life. Prior to 8th gen they're dirt-cheap.

I believe that Ideapad has Intel 5th gen (i3?). A bit low in performance.

@johnrobert A decent solder/desolder station are relativly cheap - unless you go high tier with a Hako setup. Though this could be one of those jobs that can be more trouble than it is worth. Sometimes the "easy" jobs can turn into chaos over a job that really is not worth it.

As @britechguy stated that would be the best solution, go into surgeon mode and clearly define the risks with your client.

The soldering might be on the top but it's doubtful the socket can be removed without pulling the board. Your also going to need to hold the new jack flush when installing which I doubt can be done without removing the mobo. Not to mention the heat transfers pretty quick through the DC jack and there's a good chance you will deform the plastics. I prefer using hot air for these, but it's doable with a soldering iron and wick.

I did a port removal once that was soldered. It was painful. I had to pour a TON of heat to get it out, I'm surprised I didn't damage anything. If you don't have a station that can pump a good amount of heat don't bother, you will detroy the board. Through hole is hard, as you might be able to put some low melt solder there, but it won't mix with solder that's in the MB Via.

Well, when I've had to de-solder a wire (note, not a chip, which I don't do anyway) from a PCB my typical method is to use a 30W small tip soldering iron, and get a grip on the wire I'm attempting to remove and exert a gentle pull on it before applying the heat and maintaining that pull while doing so. As soon as the solder melts that wire comes flying out. There's usually so little solder involved that wicking is not even needed.

I've never destroyed a PCB when doing this or when soldering the replacement.

I don't do this sort of repair for clients anymore since there is an old-school TV repair shop in my town where the owner does all kinds of soldering work. Every call I get about issues that sound like the fix is a solder repair are now referred to him.

Back