Appletax

Reaction score
Solution: using it on a newer computer.

-----------
Customer has a system with Win XP Pro.
  • Faulty PSU nuked the OS.
  • Replaced PSU.
  • Reinstalled XP.
  • Got his old Decor 2001 POS software back up and running (his main concern).

He would like to get QuickBooks Pro 2016 installed again, if possible, but not required.

Went to QuickBooks and got the .exe.

Run program and get this error:

"The procedure entry point RegGetValueA could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll"

Tried different things to fix this, but I think the issue is that Windows XP is not updated as it appears to be impossible to do so???????
  • Windows Updates website is dead.
  • Windows Automatic Updates does nothing.
  • Downloaded AutoPatcher and it no longer lets you download XP updates.

Can't register/replace/upgrade ADVAPI32.DLL... appears to be used by A LOT of processes!

untitled.JPG

Last edited:
It also makes me wonder what this client knows about doing PoS under XP. I haven't been a merchant since 2013, but even back then you were not allowed to use XP (except XP embedded, in actual PoS devices) for PoS transactions.

The security nightmare that using XP creates cannot possibly be compliant with processor standards in 2021. He's exposing his posterior by not getting everything, and I mean everything, updated and compliant with card processor protocols.

It also makes me wonder what this client knows about doing PoS under XP. I haven't been a merchant since 2013, but even back then you were not allowed to use XP (except XP embedded, in actual PoS devices) for PoS transactions.

The security nightmare that using XP creates cannot possibly be compliant with processor standards in 2021. He's exposing his posterior by not getting everything, and I mean everything, updated and compliant with card processor protocols.
I think he says they keep it offline. It's a very old program from 2001 that probably does not process cards or does anything over the Internet.

Then how can it be called a PoS (Point of Sale) program?

And, to be perfectly frank, I don't give a damn what it is. There can be no legitimate business case for running business applications under Windows XP in 2021. We're not talking about using XP to run the control software for things like lathes, cutters, or any of a range of specialized hardware where that software was never rewritten.

QuickBooks Pro 2016 will run perfectly under Windows 10. He should ditch the other software and cover his own posterior by doing so.

But I've made it clear that, with the rarest of exceptions, I simply will not support Windows XP at all anymore. It has been out of support for far too long for that to make sense, or for it to make any sense as an operating system for mission critical business applications.

Windows XP is a major pain in the arse to deal with vs Win 10 o_O
lol I'm still at home with Windows XP. It was and still is an amazing OS. Just boot up in a portable Windows environment or extract the drive and delete the .dll from there. Don't try to do it from a running operating system.

That being said, even extended support for Windows XP ended in 2009 and extended EXTENDED support ended in 2014. To expect a program newer than 2014 to work with XP is unrealistic. You can play around with it if you wish, but know that even if you get it to "work" it's going to be a hack-job. I love Windows XP and I still use it, but I don't go on the internet with it and I don't try to run modern programs on it. I have a version of XP with every available update slipstreamed right into it so you don't have to rely on updates, but I doubt the issue you're having is because you're missing an update.

I think you're trying too hard @Appletax . Trying to nurse 20 year old unsupported POS software on a 20 year old unsupported OS? This customer needs to accept some changes and move on. Every now and then the geek in me tries stuff like this and then I slap myself upside the head. (The last was a 22-year old land survey program where the guy was semi-retired and just needed access to old records for posterity.)

Intuits guide says you need at least Vista SP2 to install QB2016.
Also a pre req is .NET Framework 4.0. Doubt 4.0 come default on any XP install, so you probably have to go download/install a series of .NET Framework to bring that up to 4.0 minimum.
Even if you got Net 4.0 installed on that old thing....not sure QB2016 will still install on it...since it will fail an OS pre req check.
Might be able to fudge it in with some compat mode....but...this is a lot of trial and error time you're accumulating.

While I really don't think that doing anything with XP is a 'good thing', if you're absolutely determined to do this, you can take a look at using an older version of wsus offline update to get XP maintenance. There might be a version in the archives that includes XP.

Good luck,

Harry Z

It sounds as if your client has a POS that merely constructs bills and gives values for transactions and the employee manually rings it into a debit machine.

I agree with everyone else, you are setting yourself up for issues.

Tell your client that the support for XP is over, the maker of QB2016 has revoked support for Windows XP, and sadly, he requires a new PC and POS solution. If they are not willing, go no further.

DO NOT GIVE IN TO CLIENT.

DO NOT FEEL SORRY.

A business is just that. It's the business owners responsibility to make sure the business has what it needs. We are not here to babysit our clients. I don't mean this in a ride sense, just that we do have hearts and sometimes we have to remember there is a time and place for our hearts to help a client. This is not one of those times. It will come back to bite you one way or another.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Client will be using QuickBooks 2016 on a newer computer.

They plan to retire in a few years so they don't want to mess with the old POS.

Back