QBO is NOT HIPAA-compliant

HCHTech

Reaction score
I guess I'm not surprised, but I didn't know this before. We got a new Chiropractor client recently who (and this IS a surprise) seems to be pretty on top of the HIPAA game. One of the jobs early on our list for them is to convert back to Quickbooks desktop. A quick search finds this text from one of their KBs:

Currently, QuickBooks Online meets industry standards for online security, but is not compliant with the HIPAA standards for privacy. If you are a health care professional, it is not recommended that you enter "individually identifiable health information" into the QuickBooks Online program.

This isn't quite the same as saying "Don't use it", but the HIPAA consultant the client has didn't soft-pedal it at all - they very clearly said "Don't use it.".

My question is what would ever be entered in Quickbooks that would be considered "individually identifiable health information." Name and the fact they had an appointment, for instance, is not protected (unless something has changed, radically). It's presumed that anyone's name is public knowledge and billing for an appointment should not contain diagnostic information.

But if the office is "sloppy" and actually enters diagnostic details, then all bets are off.

My question is what would ever be entered in Quickbooks that would be considered "individually identifiable health information." Name and the fact they had an appointment, for instance, is not protected (unless something has changed, radically). It's presumed that anyone's name is public knowledge and billing for an appointment should not contain diagnostic information.

But if the office is "sloppy" and actually enters diagnostic details, then all bets are off.
Medical bills are broken down with name, address, insurance info as well as medical procedure descriptions and costs. All of which need to be protected.

My question is what would ever be entered in Quickbooks that would be considered "individually identifiable health information."
Yeah, that was my question as well - they have some sort of integration between QB and their practice management software, and apparently there is PHI somewhere. I'm just as happy to stay out of that decision tree and just do what their consultant says - haha.

QB Online's billing can't keep tabs on that billing anyway. I have contractors for clients that are using QB Enterprise on prem still because QB online sucks.

Intuit just doesn't care. They're getting a subscription either way now.

Back