Problem with my own server

Big Jim

Reaction score
Fairly old Dell server running 2008 R2.
This problem can generally be worked around with a reboot or entering login credentials occasionally etc, so I have largely ignored it and just carried on,

Having recently been to a clients site though and seen their (similar) setup running flawlessly it got me thinking about this again.

I think my problem might be DNS related, but not entirely sure.

So we have a single server on site running 2008 R2, handling AD, DNS, DHCP, and file sharing
2 active NICs 192.168.20.10 & 192.168.20.20
both set as DNS, no reverse lookup zone configured, and forward lookup zone is configured with 2 x google ips, 2 x open DNS ips and 1 x ISP ip (BT in this case)

Occasionally a user will be asked to enter logon credentials to access a certain file share, this happens even to me where my AD account is domain/local/server admin.
The particular file I am looking at right now is a shortcut to an excel file using the server's NETBIOS name (Behemoth) but when I clicked on one of the shared drives which are mapped via IP, it opened up without asking for credentials. which is what leads me to believe this is a DNS issue.

shared drives are mapped via GPO using the ip address of the server,
however I need to have macros working in some excel sheets that are located on the server, and as excel won't accept an IP as an approved/trusted location, this had to be done via the server name, sometimes machines wouldn't connect to the excel sheet/server so I worked around this by adding the server to each machines HOSTS file.

Also, I can never seem to get all machines to show in the network list.
I have 3 machines on the network, 1 W7, 1 x W8.1 and 1 x W10.
If I manually type the machine name in to windows explorer it will take me to that machines shared files, it just doesn't appear in the "list"

I think I have sorted one issue out.
computer browsing wasn't working because some of the relevant services were disabled on the server.

Back