Printing and Linux and LibreOffice

DanF

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've set up Linux (Mint Cinnamon 17.3) for a business client who runs a stationery and printing service. I decided to give Linux a go since lots of people where infecting the system with viruses, and other non-infected clients would then also get infected. This would result in bad reputation.

I've downloaded the PPD drivers for one of the photocopiers (which is a Develop ineo+ 203) and installed LibreOffice. Had some hard time to set it up (even because I never did so before, so I'm also using this as a learning method).

The manufacturer provided 4 PPDs: 2 x CUPS1.1 and 2 x CUPS1.2. (Does this mean anything?)
Both CUPS1.1 and CUPS1.2 had 2 files, one around 18KB and another around 137KB.
CUPS1.2 didn't work (printed garbage), CUPS1.1 worked fine (I've used the 137KB PPD).

Problems I've encountered and don't know how to best deal with:

1. Photocopier printing garbage all the time. LibreOffice was not using the PostScript drivers, but was instead set to use Auto PDF (for some reason). Changed the default to use PostScript and the problem was solved. Though, there's PostScript Level1, 2, 3, and 4. Do you know what these are?

2. Documents that are saved as LETTER (page properties) won't print. You have to change this to A4. I did arrange LibreOffice to use A4 by default (though, I think, that clients who come with a document formatted as LETTER would need to change that manually).

3. Unfortunately, some documents created in MS Word, are sometimes interpreted differently in LibreOffice. i.e. Pictures/Text move to another page, resulting in a messed document. This also makes the printer print garbage. Going to Format / Page settings in LibreOffice and hitting Apply without changing anything, seems to sort out the formatting to how it was originally created in Word. Then, the printer prints fine (no garbage).

This makes me think... that the problem lies within how LibreOffice interprets documents, and has nothing to do with the printer. Am I correct about this? What are your thoughts?

I'm really not sure where your questions are. You're pretty brave to toss in a Linux distro at a customer when you've never piloted a Linux machine before. I'll try to help where I can.

The different PostScript levels are its evolution. You shouldn't be using anything less than level 3.
LibreOffice gets Office documents right about 90-95%. It gets LibreOffice documents right 100% of the time. Meaning create the documents in LibreOffice in the first place and there are no problems. Use Office for the Office documents (run CrossOffice, Wine, etc.). Windows programs can run on Linux where needed. To expect perfect translations of Microsoft Word proprietary format into LibreOffice is unrealistic.

Good luck.

OK, lets make it clear here... I am not tossing anything to the client. The client is still running a Windows machine as their main system. So this Linux machine is only test in progress and not being used as the main system.

Thanks for your input.

You will always have some issues when taking a document created in one application and then using it in another application from a different vendor. But usually things work out ok.

In the case of Word documents you will see more problems when they are .docx. Microsoft proposed Open Office XML as a standard, that's where the x comes from. The problem is that ISO rejected the first version that M$ submitted. After another round a standard was presented that ISO accepted. Unfortunately M$ decided to implement the first version, the one that was rejected, into Office. I believe everyone else is using the accepted standard.

In the case of the printer and printer driver. Out of curiosity did you try to do an auto discovery? Also, you should always use the latest standard, whether PCL or PS, available.

How to fix those pesky formatting issues? One is to have the documents converted into a truly universal format - PDF. Which is fine if you do not want/need to change formatting. Being a print shop that is probably not feasible. So another option is to install some other Linux based Office apps. Some may do a better job than other. You can install Office on Linux using Wine or CrossOver. But neither of those are perfect, expect occasional glitches. Last but not least. They can signup for O365 and they can use the web based version of the office apps. While I've not used it extensively it seems pretty complete.

Thank you sir :) That's helpful as always.

Will give Kingsoft Office suite a shot before moving to other options.

Back