Prayers for Las Vegas

The guy was not an isis supporter.
ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack even though they have yet to follow through with evidence. Maybe he was involved with ISIS or maybe he wasn't, but the investigation is ongoing. The police believe he needed "outside" support of some kind.

If his statement is so stupid then please list the other high profile attacks ISIS lied about.

law makers from both parties are now reviewing the fate of "bump stocks" and other mods which cause semi's to behave similar to full autos.
Yea, then they can feel good and claim they did something when they did absolutely nothing as usual. Not only will you still be able to 3d print one of the useless bump stocks (the rifles are less accurate and less deadly when bump fired), but you don't even need the addon bump fire stock to bump fire one:

This rifle has no "bump fire" addon:

Yea, then they can feel good and claim they did something when they did absolutely nothing as usual. Not only will you still be able to 3d print one of the useless bump stocks (the rifles are less accurate and less deadly when bump fired), but you don't even need the addon bump fire stock to bump fire one:

Yeah I know various tricks, and yes people can "home make" their own, I've shot some "home made autos" in my past. Serious gun enthusiasts have know these mods for..decades. Bump stocks "officially" hit the market in 2010, but only in fairly recent times have manufactured cheap mods become easily avail on the 'net. Heck before this Las Vegas tragedy 99.9% of most people never knew what a bump stock was. But back to your point....yes people can "make" mods themselves. But I'll make a point to that...if people are going behind closed doors to make illegal things..what the heck is any "law" gonna do to stop them? Guns themselves...will not be made illegal. The world is not going to get rid of guns. Those that want to "home-mod" semi's to full autos...will do so, regardless of what the law says.

In my state...magazines/clips have been reduced to 10x rounds. I can only put a 10 round mag in my 9mm. Years ago I could put a 15 in.
It is illegal in my state to purchase mags of higher capacity than 10 rounds. Yet...give me 15 minutes on the phone or say an hour to hop in my truck and drive to a few places...I can dig up some old school high capacity mags.

Point being..what can be obtained "illegally"...doesn't really care about "legally".

Yes, I agree with your last post. Laws don't stop criminals.

But another point concerning 3d printers. You can also pretty much 3d print a drone. and the latest drones from dji can fly upto like 4 or 5 miles from the remote and maintain a signal. How long before they marry the 3d printed drones with 3d printed guns? Better have a shotgun handy to shoot down that drone. That will be the thing to try and stop in the future, not bump fire stocks.

Yes, I agree with your last post. Laws don't stop criminals.

But another point concerning 3d printers. You can also pretty much 3d print a drone. and the latest drones from dji can fly upto like 4 or 5 miles from the remote and maintain a signal. How long before they marry the 3d printed drones with 3d printed guns? Better have a shotgun handy to shoot down that drone. That will be the thing to try and stop in the future, not bump fire stocks.

Yup....flew a DJ Mavic Pro about 4.5 miles a month ago...had to do some site survey for a medium distance wireless shot. They got some range.

Drones with guns mounted on them..able to fire...already done. You can find videos of them on YouTube.
The TV show Hawaii Five-O had an episode about 2 maybe 3 years ago about a larger drone with machine guns on it...Strafing up people and things.

How do we stop people from manufacturing bad things?
Put the death sentence on them? Won't scare 'em...most of them go out in the blaze of glory...death by cop, or...like this Las Vegas guy did...barrel under the chin and pull to the top of the head off. Death penalty won't scare 'em.

flew a DJ Mavic Pro about 4.5 miles a month ago
Now I know we are really getting off subject (maybe that is a good thing), but I just bought a brand new dji phantom 4 pro, but I have yet to get it off the ground. I found out the hard way the dji drones don't like samsung devices near as well as idevices. I needed to update the code for the remote control and the dji app on my phone crashed half way through the update. Now my controller is bricked. On the older phantoms you could load the code on a usb stick and boot from it to update, but now dji has removed the ability to do it and forbidden their forum users from showing/helping any one how to load the remote from usb. They want you to mail the remote and drone in to them and they ship you a replacement..

Wife 'n daughter have our house filled with idevices //puke....but I was flying fine for a few weeks that I borrowed it. Used my LG tablet.
Will be getting one, had been figuring the larger Phantoms would be better for me down here on the breezy shoreline, but I was amazed at how steady that little Mavic held itself. Amazing technology...not to mention amazing navigation abilities..but that's a whole 'nuther thread. //end derail

As Callimachi wrote, ISIS generally does not take credit for attacks it did not authorize or at least inspire. By that standard, she said she could only find three instances since 2014 in which the group falsely took credit for an incident.

She contradicts herself here. Either they false claim or they don't. Her argument is "Hey they are most of the time trustworthy, doesn't that count?" Yeah, whatever.

She contradicts herself here. Either they false claim or they don't. Her argument is "Hey they are most of the time trustworthy, doesn't that count?" Yeah, whatever.

Not really, none of those 3 were at the high level as this was and ISIS correctly identified 89 other attacks since 2014. So 3 out of 89? ok, you are going greatly against the odds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_linked_to_ISIL

Your article does not jive with your previous statement you are attempting to defend:

Vegas is NOT a terrorist attack.

Your article doesn't claim that. It claims according to SOME definitions it MIGHT not be a terrorist attack. It is claiming it is premature to say definitively say one way or the other according to the federal definition but that it already meets the Nevada state definition of terrorism.

I am saying that MY personal definition of Terrorism is the same as the Federal Government's. Lumping a rage killing in with terrorist attacks that do have a policial motive is a disservice to the victims of both kinds of attacks.

So far there is no evidence that the Vegas shooting has a political motive. And I am willing to bet that nothing will be found that will tie into that. Who knows I might be proven wrong but I really don't think so.

Very sad to hear about all of this. With these things I try to keep away from the news stories for a few days until the dust settles... too much misinformation and hysteria going on to make any sense of it as everyone is still reeling around for information. Not sure if it's just because I'm getting older, or desensitized to it, but I don't see a clear solution to this sort of thing. Full disclosure: I'm a permitted gun owner. Not for home defense or the apocalypse, just for target shooting and having fun. There's a lot of stigma and fear around guns, but most of that melts away once you get involved with them.

I don't really understand why everyone hones in on the "gun issue" when these tragedies occur. I think there's a lot to the mental illness claim, but you'll still have some bad people out there no matter what you do. We've made some major improvements with our understanding of mental illness and treatable conditions over the years. Does this guy classify as having a treatable illness? I wouldn't think so. Perhaps an autopsy will show a brain tumor that could explain part of this- we don't yet know.

What's the root cause of these things, if there even is one? Is it cultural, mental illness, weapon prevalence, human nature?

What's the root cause of these things, if there even is one? Is it cultural, mental illness, weapon prevalence, human nature?

We are living in historical times. Technological progress has us living more connected and more immediately. Not to mention a record number of people alive and actively voicing their opinions. Meanwhile the institutions we depended on for stability have eroded and failed. It is very difficult to maintain any sense of perspective. But statistically the USA is experiencing one of the safest periods in it's existence. Our brains can't comprehend this when presented with the graphic evidence of incidents like Las Vegas. The historians are going to love this period.

Back