[REQUEST] PC still overheating after replacing AIO liquid cooler

Appletax

Reaction score
Got an iBuyPower gaming PC that has been overheating even when in the BIOS. The Enermax Aquafusion 240mm AIO CPU cooler's pump showed 0RPM, so I replaced it. The replacement cooler, a DeepCool LS520 240mm is not working either and shows 0RPM on the pump - the system still overheats, but not as quickly. I don't know what to do at this point. This is my first time installing an AIO liquid cooler. I don't think I installed anything incorrectly. The RGB LEDs light up on the head of the cooler. The pump just does not want to work as if it's not receiving any power.

20230306_205159105_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Is the pump plugging into the board PWM CPU Fan header or just run purely off a power molex?

The 4 pin connector is plugged into the PUMP_FAN header on the mobo and the pump is connected to a SATA cable.

There's a 3 pin connector, too, which I am unsure of what it's used for. It's not connected to anything.

Edit: I am not using the two fans that it came with. I am using the ones that were on the old cooler, which work.

The 4 pin connector is plugged into the PUMP_FAN header on the mobo and the pump is connected to a SATA cable.

There's a 3 pin connector, too, which I am unsure of what it's used for. It's not connected to anything.

Edit: I am not using the two fans that it came with. I am using the ones that were on the old cooler, which work.

Don't work with water cooled systems and don't really do computer repair anymore but I'd be interested to see what that 3pin does, is it a 3 pin fan connector, what does the manual say about it? Do you have a 3pin fan on the board to plug into?

Otherwise ... do you have a spare 4 pin fan you can plug into PUMP_FAN to see if it is live?

Might be totally off base as I just decline anything like this anymore. I'm not even sure if PUMP_FAN will run a normal fan.

Have you tried connecting to the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard instead of the PUMP_FAN header? I've not dealt with this kind of issue on desktops for a while, but i dont ever recall seeing a PUMP_FAN header before and pretty sure i used the CPU_FAN header the last time i installed water cooling.
The manual is a little confusing without the device in front of me but that seems to suggest its the 3 pin cable that goes into the CPU_FAN header.

4-pin connectors are typically thermostatically controlled. 3-pins are typically constant power once the machine is on. SATA power cables are constant power when the machine is on. From your description, the original problem was either no power (could be failed motherboard, bad cable or incorrect temp setting in the BIOS) or failed pump. If the problem was something OTHER than a failed pump, then replacing the cooling system doesn't solve the problem. Time to dig into the settings, dig into the instruction manual for the new cooler and get out your multimeter.

I am with HCHTech on this it seems more like a setting or broken header on the board. I believe there are some ways to bypass the header and force to run at full speed full time this would at least confirm you have a working pump and cooling capacity.

Have you tried connecting to the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard instead of the PUMP_FAN header? I've not dealt with this kind of issue on desktops for a while, but i dont ever recall seeing a PUMP_FAN header before and pretty sure i used the CPU_FAN header the last time i installed water cooling.
The manual is a little confusing without the device in front of me but that seems to suggest its the 3 pin cable that goes into the CPU_FAN header.

I do not see a 3 pin CPU_FAN header, but that 3 pin connector that comes with the AIO cooler is for the fans it comes with, which I did not use - so it connects to nothing.

There's a 4 pin SYS_FAN1 header I hooked the pump to and it made no difference.

Don't work with water cooled systems and don't really do computer repair anymore but I'd be interested to see what that 3pin does, is it a 3 pin fan connector, what does the manual say about it? Do you have a 3pin fan on the board to plug into?

Otherwise ... do you have a spare 4 pin fan you can plug into PUMP_FAN to see if it is live?

Might be totally off base as I just decline anything like this anymore. I'm not even sure if PUMP_FAN will run a normal fan.

I don't have any spare fans :( nor any systems with fans I could borrow.

I just saw this thread on reddit It looks like you've clicked on "PUMP1" on the BIOS photo, can you confirm that "CPU1" is set to "PWM"? If not, set it to PWM and see if it springs into life.

Set everything to PWM. No dice. Putting the old cooler back in and giving it back to the client and having them go elsewhere for repairs. Their system is under a 3-year warranty for service, but not parts, so they may want to ship it out to iBuyPower and wait the 3-5 weeks it takes them to repair it (pathetic processing time for such an expensive system).

Back