Outlook in office 2016 to Office 365

You're right but if this is a business domain email, Exchange is the holy grail and highly recommended.

But we're right back to where I started. I saw nothing, and that's been confirmed, that suggested the query was about anything more than upgrading from standalone Office to M365 and making sure that the current email setup under Outlook remained intact.

You took the scope as being something I did not, and the OP has clearly stated, now, that my presumption was the correct one, so we know exactly what we're working with here.

What is the best way to retaining all the emails from the “old” imap server while also being able to pick up all new emails from the O365 server.

Now you've changed scope while I was typing my last reply to @callthatgirl. This being the case, her solution is far more in keeping with what you wish to accomplish.

Just keeping an email account working under Outlook is not what you're really asking about here. It's much bigger than that.

Now you've changed scope while I was typing my last reply to @callthatgirl. This being the case, her solution is far more in keeping with what you wish to accomplish.

Just keeping an email account working under Outlook is not what you're really asking about here. It's much bigger than that.
@britechguy sorry about that I had always intended this to be a two part question. Just to get my head straight one step at a time. You are correct my first part was just changing from O2016 to M365. My part 2 "crossed in the post" with yours and now involves moving the original Imap O2016 to M365 as well. Thanks for any input

Thanks for any input

My only input at this point is that these really are 2 separate things, entirely, and each deserves a topic of its own.

The part with getting email set up in M365 really belongs in the Office 365 forum on this site (which I keep hoping will be renamed to Microsoft 365, as Office 365 no longer exists).

I'd also worry about doing that part first. The rest is really nothing but setting up the new account (which it will be) in Outlook 365 afterward.

I believe you mean Outlook 2021. And I said this only because I do know you value technical correctness, not to be snarky.
You know that's a really deep well...

You are correct in this context I meant 2021, and that's the correct answer for this thread.

But there IS a 2022 release too, you just never saw it unless you were on M365 at the time. And I'll let that drop there because it's not only irrelevant to the topic at hand, but I think if anyone actually tries to dive in and understand WTF Microsoft was doing with just Outlook, and its myriad editions, and compounded versions we'd all descend into collective madness! So best to skip that.

Though... your journey into M365 is prompted specifically because of this chain of insanity, which is the only reason I bring it up.

@Sky-Knight are we now in a contest of who's right or correct in answering?

Nope, there can never be enough call outs on just how insane Microsoft has made "Outlook".

The only thing you're recommending here that I do not agree with is Exchange Online Plan 1.

Why? Because NCE... You cannot upgrade Exchange Online P1 to any of the Business licenses. The user has to make the leap to E3 while in contract terms. So I really suggest using Business Basic instead. It's more expensive yes, but it gives the customer more upgrade options. I only recommend Exchange Online Plan 1 for automation mailboxes.

Back