Out of disk space - wow.

HCHTech

Reaction score
I had a new business customer bring in a Dell all-in-one computer they used at their front desk. "It's slow and I'm getting 'out of disk space' messages, can you clean it up?"

After hardware diagnostics didn't find any problems, the first thing I find is an actual, honest-to-goodness virus (which SOMEHOW got through Microsoft Security Essentials - Imagine that!) living in the Windows System32 directory, that created about 600,000 copies of a file taking up about 50 gigabytes of space. After a thorough cleanup, the computer still wasn't right - better, but not right. It had passed the hardware diagnostics, so I decided to unhide everything and go spelunking through the hard disk to see what I could find.

I found a folder hidden in the user directory created by a software called "PC Tattletale". This software (that I could not tell was installed) was taking a screenshot somewhere between 5 and 20 times PER MINUTE, for the last 2 years. I also found a text file explaining how to remove evidence that the software was installed, so it was clearly installed on purpose.

This directory had, I'm not kidding 1.4 MILLION files in it. Holy freaking schnit. Some googling turned up this apparently legitimate (and I use that term loosely) software, so I called the customer and got some story about how this computer used to belong to an employee of his who went through a nasty divorce a couple of years ago.

In the end, I had to reinstall the software to put back the proper uninstaller, then uninstall it, then clear out that directory. I ended up doing that in linux because Windows isn't very happy when you try to delete a folder with that many files in it. It still took several hours to delete everything. Wow. After that, it ran like new again!

Reactions: CLC
So some business purchased a used computer, didn't reload it and just started putting their business data over the top of what was already on there? smh

Yeah, I hear ya. Direct instructions from the guy not to wipe if I could avoid it, LOB apps, etc. I hate these things. Not a good first experience with a new customer. I think I know why he's had no long-term support...

I've been told before by a new business not to reload because of business software. I was thinking you don't have the software to reinstall? It happens. Come to find out they pirated the software. The system still had the torrent downloads.

Wow... Ive seen some crazy things like this before but nothing on that level, disgruntled spouses or house mates planting spy programs like that come up a lot. I once helped a family friend install one on his daughter's and wife's phone not paying much attention thinking it was for his phones protection. Found out a few month later when they found the program and called me about it.... not a good feeling for sure.

After hardware diagnostics didn't find any problems, the first thing I find is an actual, honest-to-goodness virus (which SOMEHOW got through Microsoft Security Essentials - Imagine that!) living in the Windows System32 directory, that created about 600,000 copies of a file taking up about 50 gigabytes of space.

Sounds like a bad loader, probably not a virus itself just a loader to download them.

Back