OneDrive error

BO Terry

Reaction score
I have a client who wants to start using OneDrive to share just a few folders. OneDrive was already setup on the computer from when it was first put into service last fall but never really utilized. The issue is, there is an error message. I've Googled and contacted OneDrive support but so far no luck.
FYI: I've not used OneDrive much at all so hopefully I'm just missing something that will be obvious to the power user.

The error is: "the documents folder contains other important folders and isn't supported for file backup". There are no PST/OST files contained. I actually even "moved" all of the folders (Pictures had maybe 10 images and Documents had one item saved into it) onto the local computer and emptied the recycle bin in case there was a file that was triggering the message. If I uncheck the Pictures folder in Manage Backup, It shows space left 5.0 GB (it's a free account). As soon as I click Try Again, it automatically checks the box by Pictures, shows space left as -34.7 gives the error again.

Since there is nothing in OneDrive that needs to be saved, I wondered if there was a reset function to completely reset OneDrive like it is a brand new account.

upload_2020-7-12_9-48-10.png

I went into Manage Folders and the only space used corresponds with the "Getting started" pdf after I moved the other files out. Still no luck. The screen shot below is after I Moved the Pictures and Documents folders to the desktop but the error is the same.

upload_2020-7-12_9-51-22.png

*Edit, I signed up for the $1.99 per month 100GB service since that's likely what they will need. The only change was in the amount of storage available.

Last edited:
I was working on a OD the other day. The local folder on the machine had red tick marks next to the unsupported files. Not seeing that? Also change view to show hidden files and folders.

I have a client who wants to start using OneDrive to share just a few folders. OneDrive was already setup on the computer from when it was first put into service last fall but never really utilized. The issue is, there is an error message. I've Googled and contacted OneDrive support but so far no luck.
FYI: I've not used OneDrive much at all so hopefully I'm just missing something that will be obvious to the power user.

The error is: "the documents folder contains other important folders and isn't supported for file backup". There are no PST/OST files contained. I actually even "moved" all of the folders (Pictures had maybe 10 images and Documents had one item saved into it) onto the local computer and emptied the recycle bin in case there was a file that was triggering the message. If I uncheck the Pictures folder in Manage Backup, It shows space left 5.0 GB (it's a free account). As soon as I click Try Again, it automatically checks the box by Pictures, shows space left as -34.7 gives the error again.

Since there is nothing in OneDrive that needs to be saved, I wondered if there was a reset function to completely reset OneDrive like it is a brand new account.

View attachment 11915

I went into Manage Folders and the only space used corresponds with the "Getting started" pdf after I moved the other files out. Still no luck. The screen shot below is after I Moved the Pictures and Documents folders to the desktop but the error is the same.

View attachment 11916
I was working on a OD the other day. The local folder on the machine had red tick marks next to the unsupported files. Not seeing that? Also change view to show hidden files and folders.

I was not seeing any red tick marks but I did search the entire Documents folder for any .pst's. I found an old copy of an archive and removed it. No help. Then I found where to reset OneDrive and have done that. It is still going through the initial setup phase. Hopefully this will clear the error but I won't know until it finishes looking for all new files.

It did not give me any options on what I wanted to backup so it is going through and backing up all the pictures. I actually don't want them on OneDrive but can't figure out how to stop the process. I guess I will have to modify this once the initial sync finishes under Settings > Account > Choose Folders, right?

I only want to end up with 3 folders in OneDrive, preferably with them also showing up in File Explorer in their original location (currently Documents\Folder 1, Documents\Folder 2 etc).

OneDrive personal is not that great in my book. It's really limited. But as I've told customers if you have a simple setup then we'll adjust the workflow so it works ok within the OD constraints.

Hopefully the reset will work. I was going to suggest logging out, correcting any issues on both side, locally on the computer and via web login, then logging in again.

The local folder on the machine had red tick marks next to the unsupported files.
Hrmmm, had an issue like that in the past with a client. Found out that it was because of Outlook. Outlook likes to put the pst/ost files in the documents folder which OD does not like.

Back