Office 2010 help with permissions

xxsilk109xx

Reaction score
I have a customer who brought me a laptop with a virus on it. On an unrelated note, her copy of office 2010 trial has expired and when you open word for example, it just gives me a licensing error and says that it must close.

Well she has brought me a retail disk of the home and student version with the product key. So I tried to install it from the disk.

I get the following error:
Error 1310. Error writing to file: Policy.12.0.Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.DAO.dll - You dont have access to this folder.

It tells me that and then I have to close the installer and I cant get anywhere with this.

I have removed the virus which was just some trojans and some pop ups, and cant get around this.

Basically the file is located in C:\windows\assembly and I cant change any permissions in that folder. I have tried uninstalling the dll and it tells me that I dont have access.

I have been on google for the past couple of hours trying to figure this out and cant get anywhere. I have tried almost every file permission repair command out there that I can find and I am still in the same boat.

I also tried to uninstall and then reinstall and completely removed everything Office related and rebooted and I cant reinstall because I get the same error. I even did a system restore to a couple of days ago to start over again with the virus removal and everything, but I instead tried to fix the office problem to see if it was something that happened in the virus removal but it doesnt seem to be the case.

Thanks for any help!

I have seen a similar permissions type error when installing over the top of a trial version. I have solved it in the past by removing all traces of office and reinstalling. I see you tried that but it would be worth checking as there are a few entries that aren't very obvious like the business contact manager for outlook if its office Home&Business or above as the trial usually is. I have seen an office removal utility but its not in any way official.

I have had one case where this didn't fix it and I ended so mad I called Microsoft and after about an hour of trying different registry fixes etc I was advised to do an in place upgrade of Win7 (Not sure what OS your running?). Despite my scepticism it actually fixed it in this case.

Also, The assembly folder stores assemblies for shared components of the .NET framework. Perhaps the installer is trying to overwrite the file which is in use by another running .NET application. Possibly a lurking component of the trial install. Pure speculation on that though. ;)

Hope something here helps. :D

Liam.

Have you tried unregistering and reregistering the MSI installer?
Code:
Click Start, Run, type msiexec /unreg, press ENTER.
Click Start, Run, type msiexec /regserver,press ENTER.

Yea I have tried everything, however, it turns out that doing a repair install of windows 7 did the trick so far. Thanks for all the tips!

Back