No power to Latitude D620 laptop

TechGuy71

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have in a Dell Latitude D620 laptop that is not getting any power and wanna see if anyone might have a better idea as to where the problem might be. When plugged in, there is no charging indicator or anything that lights up. The battery seems dead and the little charge indicator on the battery itself does nothing. While I haven't disassembled down to the motherboard, I did remove the keyboard to take a look at the DC jack, and it did not seem that it was pulled away from the board or anything. When I press the power button is the only time I get any indication of power... the battery indicator glows orange, and if I hold the power button down it will slowly blink orange. It's not the 3 orange/1 green that I have seen a couple times. Of, also I did check the voltage from the plug and I am getting the appropriate voltage so I don't think it's the AC adapter. If it is the battery I am thinking it should still power up with the battery removed, but it does not.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm thinking that you may have to test the power at the jack/board level.

Yah, it's 19v coming out of the jack also. Am I correct in assuming that it should power on when plugged in even if the battery is bad or removed? Most do but I'm not sure if all do. At this point I am thinking that it is somewhere beyond the DC jack, but want to make sure before I go to the customer with the worst news.

Yah, it's 19v coming out of the jack also. Am I correct in assuming that it should power on when plugged in even if the battery is bad or removed? Most do but I'm not sure if all do. At this point I am thinking that it is somewhere beyond the DC jack, but want to make sure before I go to the customer with the worst news.

The problem is that you cannot really see that much of the jack on the D620 with just the keyboard removed, it still has that top half of the computer chassis (palm rest) with a plastic cowling pretty much surrounding the jack. If you could get the top half off and reflow the jack it might help, but thats alot of work if you havent been there before. It's odd that you have to hit the power button to see a "charging" indicator, that should come on without hitting power. Doesnt the 620 have a battery with a charging gauge on it, something like a bunch of lights with a button?. Is it showing charged ?

The problem is that you cannot really see that much of the jack on the D620 with just the keyboard removed, it still has that top half of the computer chassis (palm rest) with a plastic cowling pretty much surrounding the jack. If you could get the top half off and reflow the jack it might help, but thats alot of work if you havent been there before. It's odd that you have to hit the power button to see a "charging" indicator, that should come on without hitting power. Doesnt the 620 have a battery with a charging gauge on it, something like a bunch of lights with a button?. Is it showing charged ?

Sorry I should have specified.. I did take it all the way down, with the palm rest off so I could get a better look. I also did try to reflow the jack but not sure it was very effective as it's a pretty tight spot to try to get to with an iron.

As for the battery indicator, nothing comes on at all when I plug it in... and the only light I get is when I press the power button the battery light comes on orange IF the battery is in place. And if I hold the power button in the battery light will blink orange.

The battery does have the charge indicator on it.. when I press it, it does nothing... which I think just means that the battery is dead. At least that's the way I read it.

Dunno... kinda strange for sure.

Sorry I should have specified.. I did take it all the way down, with the palm rest off so I could get a better look. I also did try to reflow the jack but not sure it was very effective as it's a pretty tight spot to try to get to with an iron.

As for the battery indicator, nothing comes on at all when I plug it in... and the only light I get is when I press the power button the battery light comes on orange IF the battery is in place. And if I hold the power button in the battery light will blink orange.

The battery does have the charge indicator on it.. when I press it, it does nothing... which I think just means that the battery is dead. At least that's the way I read it.

Dunno... kinda strange for sure.

If the machine is still open, look around the DC Jack area, within a couple of inches for any fuses. Usually they will be clearly marked as FUSE500 or something or F1, most of the time they look like fuses so its not too hard to spot. See if you can do a continuity test on them, this is often a big problem on a "dead" motherboard, but there often are more than one fuse that can fail.

If the machine is still open, look around the DC Jack area, within a couple of inches for any fuses. Usually they will be clearly marked as FUSE500 or something or F1, most of the time they look like fuses so its not too hard to spot. See if you can do a continuity test on them, this is often a big problem on a "dead" motherboard, but there often are more than one fuse that can fail.

No I buttoned it back up but that sounds like something worth trying.. I'll give it a shot. Thanks

Back