New Thunderbird release

Diggs

Reaction score
I see the newest version of Thunderbird has been released. I know this crowd mostly favors Outlook but I've used Thunderbird since the days of Netscape Navigator Suite. During my corporate days it was Outlook 10 hours a day but given a choice away from an Exchange server and I'll choose Thunderbird. I thought it was just my formulative years causing my prejudice but over the years I've installed both Outlook and Thunderbird in a few SOHOs and all but one (that had previous corporate experience) chose Thunderbird as their full-time email client. Thunderbird tends to be the first email client I set up as it finds, connects and configures automatically. Easy way for me as the tech to be sure the client has a working email address even if I eventually install Outlook.

Anyway, it's nice to see Mozilla keeping it current.

@add - A feature I use quite a bit since I tend to load Tbird first is turning on folder stats. Tells size and count of every folder instantly. I hadn't found that feature in Outlook but I haven't used it much lately either.

tbird1.JPG

Last edited:
@Diggs

What version are you alluding to? Thunderbird 115 (Supernova) while relatively new has been out for about 2 months now.

Thunderbird is a big favorite in the blind and low-vision communities for those who are not using Outlook, and the folks at Thunderbird screwed up royally in terms of accessibility regressions with this release. I get that it was a "from scratch" rewrite, and these things are bound to happen initially, but I'm surprised at just how little attention was paid to accessibility. That's unusual, as the folks at Tbird have been very good on that front. I'm sure it will be fixed, too, but once the automatic upgrade path opened from 102 to 115, that hosed over a lot of blind users.

The 102 to 115 rollout is being handled very much like Windows Feature Updates. Cohorts of existing 102 users are being formed, updated to 115, and the telemetry monitored to make sure that nothing untoward (from the perspective of Thunderbird) is happening.

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't just get it. It is, though, "not new," but is rolling out in stages, so it absolutely is new to those where the update just took place.

I've been a Thunderbird user for many, many years.
I've installed it on hundreds of client systems as well. Never had a problem or issue.

The new Thunderbird is more like a browser than an email client.
I just discovered I can add uBlock Origin to Thunderbird! Very cool.

Last edited:
The new Thunderbird is more like a browser than an email client.

I don't find it much different than "the old Thunderbird" overall, and Version 102 was able to have all sorts of extensions and add-ons installed. One of the things I loved (and still love) about Thunderbird is its extensibility.

But all email clients have been marching toward browser underpinnings for some time, and that includes Outlook.

Back