New laptop battery not charging

Blue Banana

Reaction score
Okay so, client calls up, says battery is not charging. I get on site, do the HP battery test (both through windows and the disgnostic test you can do at startup). Both tests says to replace battery, so I order a new one (good generic make, on the customer's approval). I install it, and leave to charge for 4 hours. Start laptop up, battery charged at 4% and displays: "Plugged in, not charging."

I follow these steps, which has worked in the past:

Disconnect AC
Shutdown
Remove battery
Connect AC
Startup
In Device Manager, Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall.
Shutdown
Disconnect AC
Insert battery
Connect AC
Startup

Still nothing. Could problem be with laptop or battery? Unplugging the charger and puting it back in dimms and brightens the screen as it should (acknowledging that it is on AC and Battery power).

I am going to test another charger just for in case.

Any other ideas?

Some of those HP chargers actually had a button/switch that you could set to power the laptop without charging the battery. If that's not the case here, I wonder what would happen if you left it in the BIOS screen for an hour to bypass interference from the OS.

You might also try shutting down and removing the battery and ac, then holding the power button down for 20 seconds. Give that a go booting on ac only, then put the battery back in. If no go, try it again booting on battery only then plugging the ac in.

Some of those HP chargers actually had a button/switch that you could set to power the laptop without charging the battery. If that's not the case here, I wonder what would happen if you left it in the BIOS screen for an hour to bypass interference from the OS.

You might also try shutting down and removing the battery and ac, then holding the power button down for 20 seconds. Give that a go booting on ac only, then put the battery back in. If no go, try it again booting on battery only then plugging the ac in.

That is usually what I do when replacing the battery. Although with a generic battery the charge time will be very slow if that.

Back