Need Video Card Recommendation

shamrin

Reaction score
Customer brought in his computer complaining that his video was highly pixelated and motionless. He is a gamer with one of those giant (and heavy) Dell XPS desktops and is using a DVI-to-HDMI cable. I got the computer to boot to a display once with a proper computer monitor but since that one time, no display at all (BIOS, Windows or DOS from a test CD). If I switch to one of my video cards everything works fine.

There are currently 2 Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT cards in the machine (have tested them both individually and as a pair with still no vid). It's hard to imagine how both cards could go out simultaneously but all indications are that that is the case

The customer has a game that he wants to be able to play that says it recommends a "Nvidia GTS 250 or better". I gather that these 8800 GT cards are no longer in production because all that is available are refurbs, which I would prefer not to use. I'm looking for advice on whether replacing the current cards with a GTS 250 seems like a satisfactory swap or would it be seriously deficient from a gaming perspective (obviously I am not a gamer).

Last edited:
8800GT = 9800GT < GTS 250
Two 8800GTs might equal a 250...but yeah, a 250 isn't exactly amazing either.

I STRONGLY recommend a GTX 460...around $180-200 and better performance than the two 8800GTs. Just make sure his PSU can handle it...but yeah, the GTX460 has been a really well recommended card so far. Other than that, maybe an AMD/ATi HD5770 for like $170.

Back