Need some guidance creating a bootable usb disk

fbsdguy

Reaction score
I am trying to learn how to create a bootable usb using my 2TB WD My Passport. I know there are multiple tools out there that will do all this for me, however, I want to try to do it on my own.

Here is a screen of my cfdisk report of the drive. I have three partitions on the drive including an efi boot for grub, a partition for Linux Mint and a partition Windows 10. I used dd to copy over the files from the iso.

cfdisk.png

I mounted /dev/sdc1 on /mnt and ran this:

Code:
# grub-install --target x86_64-efi --removable --boot-directory=/mnt/boot --efi-directory=/mnt

Which was successful in writing the efi files, but I'm stuck on pointing the grub config to the proper partitions utilizing their GUID.

Any assistance in this regard would be helpful. Yes, my naming schema is after X-men currently.

What problems are you encountering with booting from the usb device? Error messages?

As for the windows boot, I dont think its going to like the linux partition.

Have you asked over in the Mint forums? I would think your going to get a quicker and better response over there ;)

I don't have a lot of first-hand experience with manually setting GPT partitions, so don't take this as gospel.

Is cfdisk fully GPT compatible (it wasn't a couple of years ago)?
I don't think /dev/sda1 partition type 83 is correct – with fdisk it's 'EFI System'; with gdisk it's 'EF00'. (This is why I'm asking about cfdisk-GPT compatibility and it might explain why the partition can't be seen to contain boot information.)

The Arch wiki is a useful resource for this kind of stuff.

Are you just looking to boot the windows 10 iso or are actually installing it?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Back