Need some advice on displays for restaurant

Thedog

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a restaurant client which wants 3 displays to show things like menus, photos and so on (nothing to advanced). Two of the displays will be inside the restaurant and one will be in a floor above (the restaurant is inside a mall).

I wonder what would be the best way to do this, at the moment I am thinking about installing 3 of the televisions below and use the usb port to display picture:

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-47LD450.js

I guess the disadvantage is that my client would have to update 3 usb-sticks every morning. The other alternative is using a vga switch and one main computer, obviously cabling is gonna be a bit of a problem, it is at least 50 meters from the computer to the display on the floor above.. Another alternative I is some wireless transmission...

Anyway, you guys see what I need and can maybe help me in finding a good solution for this!

Thank you

depending on where you can mount the computer. a small computer with a good amount of graphic ports should do the job.

some atom based nettops should also work, and since they are cheap and small, you can mount them very close to the TV and use one for each TV. Most of them have wifi builtin, so updating them while mounted should be painless.

depending on where you can mount the computer. a small computer with a good amount of graphic ports should do the job.

some atom based nettops should also work, and since they are cheap and small, you can mount them very close to the TV and use one for each TV. Most of them have wifi builtin, so updating them while mounted should be painless.

Yeah been thinking about this as well.... but then he should walk around with a wireless keyboard and mouse (or built in mouse) to be able to change what will be displayed as well? Or I guess they could be on the network and controlled with VNC. Maybe this is the best solution...

vnc is the best choice as you can centralize control, unless you don't want to give away vnc because it's also a remote management tools that some techs use.

I have done a similar thing, but I put pictures on a SD Card and just did a infinite loop with it, they jsut needed a slideshow display, test it and see if you like it, easy and nice looking.

look for a vga extender. It will run vga over a network cable and keep them synced up over the distance. they can be a little pricey though as there is some smarts inside them

or.

I have a pair of adapters that are just physical adapters between a vga connection and ethernet. Not suitable for really long distances but i have run 30m with no issue with the final display.

Back