Need a wireless router recommendation (ultra-small business).

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
Client is downsizing and needs me to setup their new office. Normally I'd have my wiring guy come in and wire everything and do a couple drops per station (I don't do wiring) but this is such a small setup I think they would be fine just going fully wireless.

Setup is:

400 Sq/f
2 Desktop computers and an occasional laptop or two
1 Multi-Function printer
2 VOIP wireless capable phones
300 download 25 upload

All of their services are cloud based:
Google Apps (via web)
Dropbox
Hosted Sage50

There is no inter-network data being transferred, no file sharing, no server. The workstations are basically just dummy boxes.

I was going to go with Ubiquiti (Dream Router: UDR-US) but everything, as usual is out of stock

So I guess I just need a decent WiFi6 capable router? Any suggestions or disagreements on what I'm going on about here? I know the VOIP phones are the only question mark here but they are relatively new phone and will literally have line of sight to the router in this 400Sqf box.

Last edited:
Do what you can to pick one and standardize so you can get really familiar with one manufacturers infrastructure, interface & capabilities. That way you won't be constantly playing the "Now how do I do this thing on a [insert vendor name here] again?"

We've standardized on Sonicwall, so personally, I'd use a TZ-270W for this - but that's me. To be more specific, though, I would also consider a non-wireless firewall and a single Unifi access point, because we've also standardized on Unifi for wifi. We have a cloud controller that is already setup to send notifications that auto-create tickets in our CRM, so adding a new 1-access point client is really easy. There is some wisdom to keeping the firewall job and wifi job on different devices.

Back