NAS for Backup

ohio_grad_06

Reaction score
If this question has been posted prior, then my apologies. I used to be more active on here, but not as much lately.

Anyway, at work, for one of our divisions, we purchased a Dell Poweredge R540 system.

Specs

Xeon Silver 4114 CPU(20 core 2.2ghz)
32gb ram
2 240gb ssd in Raid 1 as a boot drive
6 8 tb drives in Raid 6 for data storage for a total of about 30tb. However, it has I think 4 extra bays so that we can expand that.

We are looking for a backup solution. At first, I thought they would use a cloud based solution, but it sounds like they prefer something along the lines of a NAS. They paid about 6k for the server itself, and we bought Server 2016 Standard Edition seperately for it. We are a church organization and have volume licenses set up, so it was a little cheaper to get the OS seperately.

Anyhow, this system is joined the our domain with a fixed IP. Not running much really, I think there are a couple of programs that will be loaded, but it won't be doing anything in the way of being a domain controller, WSUS, etc. For the most part it will be a file server for this particular division in our building.

Did a quick search in here, and Synology seems to come up as a decent brand. I know some things, but you guys know more on this stuff than I do.

That said, I was looking, and found this NAS.

https://www.cdw.com/product/Synology-Disk-Station-DS1817-NAS-server-0-GB/4698225?pfm=srh

Maybe fill it with these drives.

https://www.cdw.com/product/WD-Red-...ZX-hard-drive-8-TB-SATA-6Gb-s/4037705?pfm=srh

Raid calculator says at Raid 6 I'd have about 48tb of storage.

Currently, they have the 6 8tb drives in Raid 6. So the real size of the data store is about 30tb for now. The idea is we will probably start out with the NAS, and then maybe add another NAS later as they grow. They do a lot of their own media production in the way of audio, books, video, etc etc etc. They said before they may at some point need 100tb. But when we looked at pricing, the first solutions a couple of years ago were too expensive, so we are starting a bit smaller with something that can expand.

Also, I would be interested to know what you all recommend for a good software. In the past we've used products like Windows Server backup, and Cobian backup. I know these aren't the best. Bang for the buck will be what is desireed by the powers that be. I know in the past AOMEI backupper seemed ok, and has a technician edition for 799 which would allow for 1 technician and unlimited systems. That seems like a good deal, but there is probably better out there.

So reaching out to the experts here.

If it makes a difference, the internet speed here is 250mb fiber from windstream.

Last edited:
Synology hybrid raid? Hm I'll have to look at that. I know my IT director prefers cdw for orders. You guys see any other NAS devices that might be a better option? Thanks for the input. Definitely going to look into the Synology devices. I know I was looking into some of the units and they had 5 bay units that were a good bit cheaper, so was thinking maybe those would be a better option. But from what I'm seeing, it looks like they have the option to daisy chain a couple of them together? Very interesting.

Synology and QNap are two of the more popular brands of NAS units. We do Synology more at our shop, one of our engineers likes QNap more. We almost always do WD Red drives, have great success with those. Update the firmware on the drives, and of course the NAS you choose will prompt for OS updates during setup.

Synology has its own hybrid RAID which just makes it easy peasy to setup, it's flexible and works very well.

As for backup, you want to think about many things. A few of those things to consider:

*What is it you need to back up? Just plain files? Programs...databases iike SQL? Do you want whole system images for faster disaster recovery? Do you want something that tests those images for you? Obviously across different backup programs, some do certain things much better than others. Simple backup programs usually just get files/folders...but cannot do databases or system images.

*How much down time can you afford if the server catches fire or floats away in a flood? What kind of restoration time for that servers services do you need? Can you wait a week or more? Or just 2 or 3 days? Or in less than an hour?

*What kind of internet speeds are available...specifically upload? Certain backup programs that will allow offsite backup typically do something like inverse chain/block technology...each day they only upload the changes in the bits. Sort of like a much more efficient approach of differential backup. This way each day, any data uploaded offsite is very small. Instead of trying to upload a full disk image each day...pretty soon the backup may be so far behind schedule it's useless...if say it takes 5 days to upload each daily backup. So you need to consider these with some of the home grown backup solutions, like using Windows server backup to a NAS..and thinking you'll use the NAS's built in tools to upload offsite.

*Do you want it all automated? Or a manual approach? For example, some clients I have which have poor bandwidth, they do a sneaker-net from their NAS using external WD Passport drives. Synology has an app that will copy its contents...or specified contents....to an external USB drive when it detects you plug one in. They plug in a WD Passport at the end of each week and take it home, rotating through 4x passport drives.

Sorry about that. So as far as I'm aware of data, it would mostly be things like images for art they've created, audio, dreamweaver type files, etc. A little of everything, but not SQL databases etc as far as I'm aware.

As far as internet speed, we have 250mbps Fiber. I think the upload is as fast as the download. I did a speedtest on my local system and was getting about 80 down and a little over 90 up.

As far as fire/flood. It's actually in a proper data center. So raised floor, and active fire supression system as well that would suck all the oxygen out of the room if fire starts, we moved to this location recently, and it used to be an aerospace defense firm of some type I think. The biggest thing this server will do is be a file server. If Sally deletes a file for example, they'll want it back as quick as they can. Usually on something like that I use the file history function, but obviously want another copy, versioning would be a want also.

Synology have been really user friendly and easy to navigate menus. Setup LUNs (storage blocks) and use VEEAM free to backup the servers.

Another vote for Synology. They also include versioning as standard and you can tweak the number of versions held etc. And also very easy to set up if you have users working remotely (e.g. from home or wherever) using their 'Cloud' system - also part of the deal.

Set up a simple FreeNAS server at the office today (12 office computers total in 5 separate offices); cleverly named FreeNAS (pingable as such), it was serving as a simple storage destination with new a simple pair of mirrored spinning rust specials quite quickly!

Apologies, getting back to this now that their server is set up etc, and checking with my boss. Recommending this.

https://www.cdw.com/product/Synology-Disk-Station-DS1817-NAS-server-0-GB/4698225?pfm=srh#PO

https://www.cdw.com/product/Synology-Disk-Station-DS1817-NAS-server-0-GB/4698225?pfm=srh#PO

5 of those drive to run Raid 5, which should allow 32gb. Keep in mind this is for a backup. Anything you guys see with this that you would change?

That's a nice setup. What will you use to backup though? Bear your ideal restoration process in mind when choosing.

According to what someone on here was saying earlier they said that the units normally come with software of some kind. So my intent was to use that. In the past I've used Cobian for just the files which would probably be fine for just data. However, Of course you'd want something different for backing up the OS itself, which I have other smaller drives I can create an image of the OS drive onto.

Back