n2k file from 2003 to office 2019 with exchange

pcpete

Reaction score
I have a client who we are setting up with exchange. To start things off, a few months ago we fabs his outllook over from one computer running outlook 2003 to his new computer running outllok 2019. but it did not seem to transfer his autocomplete addresses. He did not mention it till today when we are finishing his exchange transfer.

does the 2003 n2k file not transfer to outlook 2019?
can we upload his old n2k formt the 2003 maching and his newer autocomplete entries in outlook 2019 to exchange?

There's a feature built into Outlook for this.

- Put a copy of the .nk2 file in the same directory as your new Outlook profile eg. %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Outlook\
- Rename it to the same as name as your Outlook profile eg. Outlook.nk2
- Open Outlook by running outlook /importnk2

Since Outlook 2010 the autocomplete list is stored as a hidden message within your mailbox. It gets synced with Exchange and will follow you between different devices or even in OWA.

There is a tool for backup and restore of the autocomplete list - https://github.com/stephenegriffin/mfcmapi/releases/tag/20.0.20307.01

Yup Casper has it right...new versions of Outlook/Exchange store your nickname cache in the mailbox now, instead of locally on the machine in the old NK2 file. However, you can import the old NK2 file into the modern way....copy it to that location and run the import...BAM, done. Never need to worry about nickname cache again for the life that users mailbox...equal across all devices they use!

Sweet, it's always nice to know I need to update my brain!

Along with today's discovery that even M365 Business Basic and Standard users can achieve passwordless login via Microsoft Authenticator.

Along with today's discovery that even M365 Business Basic and Standard users can achieve passwordless login via Microsoft Authenticator.

This ones great. Only became "generally available" earlier this month but I've been using in preview for a couple months now. Got a Yubikey 5 registered for FIDO2 passwordless login. All I do is tap the Yubikey and I'm logged in. Doesn't work so great for Android/iOS yet so I also have the authenticator app to fall back on.

I like the idea of "Can't be phished for your password if you don't know it to begin with"

I like the idea of "Can't be phished for your password if you don't know it to begin with"

And I like the idea of every user knowing, "You don't give your password to anyone, barring your own personal support tech (and consider changing it afterward)."

My heavens, when did this simple rule become too difficult to learn and understand?

[And this isn't a complaint about other verification methods, but about people being so stupid to begin with. If you wouldn't hand your house key to anyone who asked for it the idea is directly analgous for passwords.]

@britechguy I think that's just old habits. Tech required password sharing for quite a while. Not only because technical talent was rare and expensive, but the systems were too primitive to be sane to use otherwise. That hasn't been true in almost two decades now, but habits are hard to change.

HOTP based authentication however is wonderful for so many reasons, and every single M365 tenant I have now has Microsoft Authenicator enabled for passwordless sign-on. The response from the business owners I've notified has been positive. Everyone loves the idea of simply not having to remember at least one password. And when it's one that gets into as much stuff as M365 does, that's a HUGE quality of life improvement.

All for the cost of flipping a switch in the Azure portal...

Back