"My Samsung S10+ is ready for pick-up" SCAM

Larry Sabo

Reaction score
I just received this legitimate-looking Windows notification from "Canada Post" saying my (unordered) package was waiting for pick-up ("in Toronto," whereas I'm in Ottawa?). The page linked to by the "Find The Package" footer had a picture of a Samsung S10. When I went to schedule delivery, I got to the page where I pay the $3 shipping charge and provide a shipping address. Here's the fine print that is displayed in a very faint, low-contrast colour:
All new customers participate in the prize draw for the shown campaign product. If you are the lucky winner, you will be contacted directly by email. This special offer comes with a 6-day trial to an affiliated subscription service, after which the monthly subscription fee (75 USD) will be automatically deducted from your credit card. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with the service, you may cancel your account within 6 days. The service will be renewed at a monthly basis until cancelled. This campaign will expire on December 31,2020.

It appears that the notification was actually from https://canadapost.wanver.com, not Canada Post. If I try to back up from the page shown below, I get routed to an invitation to download an antivirus update and some (ancient) Windows updates, which page I've shown below. Seconds later, I get a screen overlay saying the antivirus update is prepared and to click the displayed link to download the update.

So now spammers and hackers are channeling through Windows notifications. <Sigh>

upload_2020-1-5_10-58-44.png

Bogus anti-vrus update prompt.jpg

Last edited:
This is old stuff, scammers have been spoofing shipping and receiving notifications for years. Which is why I tell my users never to click a button or a link in an email, always go directly to the service's website manually and check from there.

It's not a notification, it's just an email. Unless you've got malware on your system.

Back