Multiple bad power supplies

Noot

Reaction score
I received a 1 1/2 year old computer about 2 months ago from a customer that had another repair shop replace 3 power supplies in the time she owned the pc. The power supply was bad again so I put in a factory replacement one. She returned the pc to me today with a bad power supply. I decide to open it up and look inside. There was at least 100 roaches inside the power supply. Anyone have any thoughts on how to gently let her know I am done with it already..lol

Take some pictures and present them to her. Ask her if maybe she'd like to leave the computer with you for a rest while she calls pest control! Were the roaches all dead or are they now infesting your place?

Take some pictures and present them to her.

Don't forget to show them to us! I'd love to see what that looks like :D

Just be glad you weren't doing a home visit - who knows how dirty her place is.

I was able to get it outside real quick before any got out. So I think my shop is safe. I'm not sure how but I am guessing that is why all those power supplies are going bad.

Sorry Simmy, no pictures. I was so disgusted I didn't even think about that. When I took it outside I sprayed lighter fluid in it and set it on fire.

Sorry Simmy, no pictures. I was so disgusted I didn't even think about that. When I took it outside I sprayed lighter fluid in it and set it on fire.

LOL!

I once had a disgusting PC in my house and within 24 hours I had a mouse running around. Im sure it came in with the PC (I assume it was hiding in the drive bay compartment thats not visible even with the cover off).

Some people make me sick..

ewwwwww thats horrible, A rat inside a pc :eek: surely you would hear it when the pc was on or something. I've only had a few really dusty pc's but nothing like you had.

its put me off my lunch now :p

A few months back I had to replace a psu on a clients pc, it was full of roaches, I tried getting it out of the case while I was still in the clients office, but could get all out, then on the was out I got a few more out. When I got back home, while I was still outside I removed all the parts from the case so I could catch any roaches that were still hiding inside, I counted at least 20 and the pc, seemed clean and "safe" to take inside the house. The next morning when I open it up to change the psu I saw a few more.

Those little roaches hide inside the pci slots, some by the heat sink.

What worries me is how bad the infestation must be if they're killing power supplies consistently. I've been in places that have roaches for one reason or another, and never seen them kill anything on a computer. Those were clean places though got them from neighbors, or food deliveries to restaurants. It must have to be a pretty disgusting place to sustain a roach population that can kill your computer.

I've been pretty lucky I guess, but every time I get a chance to talk to someone that does in-home service of some type I always ask them their horror stories. The worst having to do with roaches was a phone guy went out to this nasty house to work on a phone line. After he was done outside he went in and was surprised to find parts of their house were literally covered in 2-3 inches of roaches crawling on top of themselves. He couldn't find their phone to test with so he called the line and when the phone rang a bunch of roaches took off running revealing a cordless phone sitting a few feet from him. The story ended with him telling his dispatch if they try to send him out there again without a hazmat suit he's going to quit.

Phone guys always have the best stories. Pretty much everybody has a phone so they see it all. I don't envy them a bit considering most of my customer's houses are immaculate.

Now thats a lot of roaches...lol The only thing I can think of is maybe they are shorting out the power supplies or there were so many it is cutting down on the air flow and the PS is overheating.

Back