Moved client from POP to O365, they want to 'unsync' their email account.

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
I have a client who I moved from POP (onlymyemail) using Windows Live Mail to Office 365 & Office 2016 (or 2019 whatever they are at).

They have a single email account that is setup on 3 different computers which is the only email account used for the business. The Owner, the Assistant, and his Wife all use this email account.

Prior to Office 365 using POP they were able to maintain their own PST's (obviously), and thus all users had their own folder structure, and in my eyes it was a mess.

Now that they are using exchange the main person, the Assistant, is creating her new folder structure and the other two are unfamiliar/unhappy with the way she chooses to handle emails because it reflects across the board now and they want to 'unsync' to be able to structure folders they way each person wants to.

I only see two ways to do this. One is to setup the primary person using exchange and then have two other users setup to POP the exchange account. I foresee issues here because when the Assistant moves emails or deletes them before the other computers can POP them they wont get the emails.

The other way is to setup 2 additional exchange accounts and have the primary email forward a copy to the other two exchange accounts so they can have their own folder structure, but then setup 'send email as' which will probably add another step to their process of sending email.

This business has had 1 single email account and operated this way for over a decade so I'm trying to see if there might be some other solution.

Any ideas?

Give them 3 email accounts and make the old group one a shared email and forward that to the others. Then they can handle the email as they wish. Time to get into the 21st century and stoping treating email like it is a fax.

Agreed. Setup individual accounts for each user.

owner@
assistant@
wife@

Then setup the old address as a distribution group with all 3 as members.

They will each receive a copy of incoming mail, but to their own mailbox where they can make whatever folder structure they like.

It should feel very similar to the old POP setup but with all the benefits of using Exchange.

You could also setup send-as permissions on the distribution group so they can send out from that address (instead of from their new personal addresses).

Yeah I figured this was the route to go down ... once I started explaining how we could accomplish this they just cut me off and said they'd figure out how to work with it.

Why did you put a client that wants only one email address on Office 365? The whole point of O365 is collaboration. Seems like some clients aren't worth the hassle.

Shared mailboxes are a thing... and they're awesome.

Also, I'm fairly certain having multiple humans logging into the same mailbox is a violation of the TOS and licensing for O365. Well aside from the tools designed for that purpose, like a shared mailbox.

Also, I'm fairly certain having multiple humans logging into the same mailbox is a violation of the TOS and licensing for O365.

Really? I've never heard this. And I've worked with some squirrely issues w/ MS and they have helped set this very thing up...

90% of my O365 clients have their mailbox and their company info@ or some-such. Or when an employee is on leave, we just add that mailbox to their manager's Outlook.

The problem here is that they went from some el-cheapo / free POP account w/ 2 GB of space, to a proper, business-class platform at $8 / mailbox. And now you will recommend jumping them to $24 / month... which is outrageous in their minds (I am guessing).

I agree with @nlinecomputers - they probably either need A LOT more education on this, or they probably aren't worth it for the meager 7% commission you may be making (or white-labeling).

I hate the over-compulsive sorting of emails into sub-folders. Show them smart-folders or the search bar... but that will probably be unacceptable.

You may just have to go with O365, a single mailbox, and set them up as POP. Completely defeating the purpose, but yeah, it's their business... they can deal with the pain of their own existence.

(btw, I never set up a distribution group or shared mailboxes... I always use a full blown mailbox with a license as inevitably someone will want it on their iPhone and the only way to get a shared calendar and contacts on iOS is a "real" mailbox).

Really? I've never heard this. And I've worked with some squirrely issues w/ MS and they have helped set this very thing up...
I can't say for what Microshit support told you but Microsoft Licensing on Office 365 is very clear. The business versions of Office 365 are licensed PER USER. You CANNOT buy one copy of Office 365 Business a let more than one human use it. You can install it up to 5 devices for that ONE user. But what the OP has outlined it 100% a violation.

Office 365 HOME can be shared by members of the same household but you are not allowed to use it for business use.

You CANNOT buy one copy of Office 365 Business a let more than one human use it.

Just love MS licensing. I guess the confusion is in the software vs. the mailbox and accompanying email service. Each of EU's has a O365 BP license, but they access each other's mailboxes with abandon. This is a violation? If so, bah!

I am not meaning buy a license and then install it on multiple machines, btw, just talking about the mailbox.

I'm not sure I totally follow you. But it sounds legitimate. What the OP is describing is a violation. Unless he has 2 software licenses and one software/mailbox license. Which is legal but pointless. Office 365 is for collaboration. There's no collaboration with one mailbox.

Just love MS licensing. I guess the confusion is in the software vs. the mailbox and accompanying email service. Each of EU's has a O365 BP license, but they access each other's mailboxes with abandon. This is a violation? If so, bah!

I am not meaning buy a license and then install it on multiple machines, btw, just talking about the mailbox.

No violation in here from what I can see, each user has a mailbox, they all have a license to access 365 services in any way they want.

5 Business Premium seats means those five people can do whatever they want. What isn't ok is 1 BP seat, and had 5 people logging into it...

Anyway, that's one of the nice things about O365, there is no confusion. A human has a seat, or they do not... that's the end of it.

Oh, and the O365 Home subscription ($99.99 / year), is 6 humans, on unlimited machines each, but each can only have 5 logged in at a time. There's an invite structure to make accounts for 5 additional people via the subscribed account.

Last edited:
Shared mailboxes are a thing... and they're awesome.

They are awesome but not suited for this scenario. If a user makes changes to a shared mailbox (delete items, create folders etc) the changes occur for everyone accessing the shared mailbox. So we end up in the same situation as we started.

They are awesome but not suited for this scenario. If a user makes changes to a shared mailbox (delete items, create folders etc) the changes occur for everyone accessing the shared mailbox. So we end up in the same situation as we started.

Yes, and no...

The shared mailbox manipulation is indeed shared, but each user still has their own mailbox with its own filing. Shared mailboxes are there for teams to work on converged mail.

The desire to have your own copy of a shared resource is the strange thing here. But, if you have a shared mailbox, you can use Outlook rules to copy content from the shared mailbox into the personal mailbox and go from there. Doing so costs you the converged tracking of outgoing communications based on the shared mailbox, but it does sort of get you back to where you started.

Gag why anyone would want to work under POP3 limitations anymore is beyond me... but there you are.

The desire to have your own copy of a shared resource is the strange thing here. But, if you have a shared mailbox, you can use Outlook rules to copy content from the shared mailbox into the personal mailbox and go from there. Doing so costs you the converged tracking of outgoing communications based on the shared mailbox, but it does sort of get you back to where you started.
Not really. I get that request a lot. Many people want a shared mailbox but want to answer the mail directly. You'd think a distribution group would work better but not so. At least not in their eyes. He who signs the checks...

He who signs the checks...

That's the bottom line for me too... I explain best practice, I explain how it is intended to be used / how it could be used... but ultimately, if the owner wants it done a certain way, I just do it... no point in fighting.

I do, however, write my recommendation and the fact that I was overridden on their ticket and invoice... because CYA. I love dropping these facts on them months later when it is all in flames.

Well, I don't think anything would blow up on a shared mailbox, it is just not as efficient as "I" would like it. For too many people easier is what they already know vs learning something new, even if new is more efficient.

Not really. I get that request a lot. Many people want a shared mailbox but want to answer the mail directly. You'd think a distribution group would work better but not so. At least not in their eyes. He who signs the checks...

Yeah, but you do not respond to shared mailboxes directly. You have to jump through the send as hoop to reply with the source address.

I use distribution lists too, and in this case it makes more sense. If they want to handle things individually, let them. I've got organizations with both systems in place based on the processes involved. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Back