Mistaken post - please delete

Interesting. It's appearing in each of my posts. Immediately after I send this I'll try hitting the Delete link on the previous one to see if it actually deletes.

Addendum: It did.

One can't delete the original post in a new thread.

OK, that makes sense. I believe that even the delete function here is not a "true delete," at least initially, but a "make it disappear and present it to admin for review." There's an edit box that one can fill out to explain why a delete is being done, and that makes me think that someone who has eyes on that after the fact will determine whether it actually goes to the bit bucket or is restored.

Having moderated now for many years, in many places, I've watched as people have tried to erase all evidence of what they've said, particularly when challenged. I've also had requests to "remove all my posts" to which I always reply, "No, when you participate in a public online forum your messages become part of a historical record. I will not take them all down because you're peeved; it doesn't work that way."

Essentially, anyone who uses venues such as this should be able to selectively delete certain content, but never just blow everything they've ever said away because they're having a hissy fit. "The internet remembers forever, so think before you post."

Guess that makes sense.....somehow -haha.

I think if you take out the original post the entire thread goes with it (barring special techniques). I know that elsewhere I have to intentionally split off a first message if I want to delete it, as the software will not allow even an administrator to delete the first message in a thread that has had even a single follow-up to that message.

Back