Microsoft WebMatrix released today

TLE

Reaction score
A friend mentioned this to me today and it looks interesting for those of use with CMS sites such as Joomla, Drupal and DotNetNuke etc. etc.

Taken from the MS blurb...

WebMatrix is a new, free, web development tool from Microsoft that provides a suite of technologies that make it easier to enable website development. It enables a developer to start a new site by browsing and downloading an app template from an online gallery of web applications (which includes popular apps like Umbraco, DotNetNuke, Orchard, WordPress, Drupal and Joomla). Alternatively it also enables developers to create and code web sites from scratch.

WebMatrix is task focused and helps guide developers as they work on sites. WebMatrix includes IIS Express, SQL CE 4, and ASP.NET - providing an integrated web-server, database and programming framework combination. It also includes built-in web publishing support which makes it easy to find and deploy sites to web hosting providers.
You can learn more about WebMatrix from my Introducing WebMatrix blog post this summer http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2010/07/06/introducing-webmatrix.aspx. Visit http://microsoft.com/web to download and install it today.

Am downloading it now. Nice post. Thankyou. :)

[edit] had a look. its a very heavy install. looks like some nice features but all the additional stuff is pretty weighty. Just a quick note to anyone reading this and thinking about using it, it adds a bunch of SQL Server elements which it needs for the back end. (see pic)

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Yes it does seem quite heavy, although it has made very little difference in terms or performance. At least it is using the new SQL compact edition and not SQL Express.

I have uploaded my own website to my Joomla install on WebMatrix which will now server as a testing site for Joomla and Component updates before I make them live. Until now, everything was done on the live site and I would just hope for the best.

WebMatrix has made it so much easier, installing XAMPP never seemed very reliable to me.

I will have to start and plan the move to Joomla 1.6 with this now :D

Back