Microsoft thinking of subscription

Though, I did read something the other day that Windows 9 May not be a key that is sold to the customer, maybe more like it off the Microsoft store. I think they were also thinking they were trying to combat issues they've had with licensing in China for example. Time to learn Linux I guess.

In fact think I was reading that article.

Mary Jo Foley was saying on this weeks Weekly Windows Podcast that there are rumors that Microsoft may offer Windows 9 for FREE to Windows 8 users and perhaps even to Windows 7 users. I have my doubts but they were implying it was a Free Razor (Windows) and Expensive Blades(Apps in the Windows store) concept sorta emulating Apple of recent years.

Microsoft has always wanted to go subscription based. After all they did it with office, weird? yep but I have clients buying it. I can see it happening.

Adobe seems to be successful with it regardless how much people complain.

Sadly enough I can see this happening also. On the other hand, they may get public outcry over people ticked off that they already paid money for their computer and that they have to pay again to use it. Which if Microsoft pulls a stunt like that I hope everyone and their brother gives them an earful. I can see Office, but with Windows you are talking about the basics of using your pc.

Also for us, what does that mean for us if people have to pay subscriptions and then have to pay us for the occasional cleanups for example. I mean if I'm a consumer I would almost say if I have to pay Microsoft for a subscription, I want free cleanups too.

The hopeful part of me says maybe they'll follow Apple's lead and give new versions of Windows away as upgrades like Apple now does in hopes of building in their Microsoft Office Sales etc.

Mary Jo Foley was saying on this weeks Weekly Windows Podcast that there are rumors that Microsoft may offer Windows 9 for FREE to Windows 8 users and perhaps even to Windows 7 users. I have my doubts but they were implying it was a Free Razor (Windows) and Expensive Blades(Apps in the Windows store) concept sorta emulating Apple of recent years.

I'd be all for this, as long as I can still load my own software from outside of the Windows store. And as long as Windows 9 doesn't suck bricks through a straw like Windows 8.

Sadly enough I can see this happening also. On the other hand, they may get public outcry over people ticked off that they already paid money for their computer and that they have to pay again to use it. Which if Microsoft pulls a stunt like that I hope everyone and their brother gives them an earful. I can see Office, but with Windows you are talking about the basics of using your pc.

Also for us, what does that mean for us if people have to pay subscriptions and then have to pay us for the occasional cleanups for example. I mean if I'm a consumer I would almost say if I have to pay Microsoft for a subscription, I want free cleanups too.

The hopeful part of me says maybe they'll follow Apple's lead and give new versions of Windows away as upgrades like Apple now does in hopes of building in their Microsoft Office Sales etc.

I have a feeling that there will be a free level or a basic level that does not require a subscription. But then advanced features will require a sub.

I would not be suprised if things like media center, they tied into whatever the Zune-Xbox unlimited service is being called now.

While things like Bitlocker and IIS might be tied to Office365.

a subscription model might be a bit eaiser to swallow as well. The only reason I've not bitlockered my Windows 8 Lenovo Thinkpad tablet is because I go to upgrade it from 8 to 8pro and see thats a 75 Dollar upgrade and I think "do I really need Bitlocker that bad?" where as give me a 4.99 a month option to get all the pro features I might be more willing to jump at that.

The only reason I've not bitlockered my Windows 8 Lenovo Thinkpad tablet is because I go to upgrade it from 8 to 8pro and see thats a 75 Dollar upgrade and I think "do I really need Bitlocker that bad?" where as give me a 4.99 a month option to get all the pro features I might be more willing to jump at that.

So your not willing to pay a one-time $75 fee but your ready to pay a recurring $110 yearly fee for the same options? Am I missing something?

And on that note, what happens when you stop paying the fee or can't pay the fee? Is your system un-bitlockered or are you locked out?

Subscription to an OS is a horrible Idea.

So your not willing to pay a one-time $75 fee but your ready to pay a recurring $110 yearly fee for the same options? Am I missing something?

And on that note, what happens when you stop paying the fee or can't pay the fee? Is your system un-bitlockered or are you locked out?

Subscription to an OS is a horrible Idea.

I'm not saying its logical, but to a lot of people 4.99 a month sounds better than 75 dollars one time.

As well as that, they want me to buy media center? Nope. VLC media center. Bitlocker, no thanks. Surely there is some alternative. Truecrypt used to be good I guess, never really used it. Maybe axcrypt? Though I really have no need for encryption software. I'll probably just find a 3rd party replacement like we used to do back in the days of Windows 98/95. I mean does anyone remember before the days of opening a zip file within Windows explorer you had to download winzip or another software? Same thing for sound editors and other software. I've got no trouble doing that again.

Last edited:
Nobody wants a subscription model if they have an option for a one time payment. M$ has been trying this for some time.

But there is some precedent so to speak. Look at what happened with the AV market. Remember that years ago we used be able to buy the s/w and it would update year after year. Now that is not the case.

Nobody wants a subscription model if they don't get anything useful out of it. Office 365 gets you the latest copy of Office the moment it is released. A OS subscription would have to do the same but how many people upgrade the OS on their computers? It is a nightmare situation for most uses that doesn't work well. Even most Apple users don't upgrade the OS to newer versions even when it is so cheap. Because upgrades break things and it is too complicated for the average user. Windows as a subscription would have users leaving in droves for more stable environments. PC are microwaves. You use them until they break and move on.

... they may get public outcry over people ticked off that they already paid money for their computer and that they have to pay again to use it. ...

I also don't like the subscription model. But to be fair, we are already doing it for other items: "I just paid all that money for my new car and now you're telling me I also have to pay for the gas so I can use it??"

I also don't like the subscription model. But to be fair, we are already doing it for other items: "I just paid all that money for my new car and now you're telling me I also have to pay for the gas so I can use it??"

You're making an incorrect analogy. If the car were a computer, the gas would be electricity. A subscription to an OS would equate to leasing the car, there is no ownership. Scratch that. A subscription to an OS equates to owning the car, but paying for the right to run the engine.

Last edited:
Different thing. You don't have to keep perpetually paying the dealer to keep using your car. Sure you pay the bank because cars are expensive(why I'm glad mine is paid off), but you buy gas, or lets say programs for Microsoft Windows, from 3rd party vendors if you like. You don't have to be locked in. That's what is unfair if Microsoft charges you for subscriptions. I get office, but that's an extra feature. We are talking about the basic use of your pc, you already buy the product, so you tell me I then have to pay another amount each month to use a device I already paid hundreds for just because of Microsoft? If that is the path they take, I hope some Linux variant takes off.

I guess really we've never "owned" the OS, due to licensing, at least not legally, but in practice it's worked that way. If they do subscription, they may encourage software piracy, because how many people are going to be irritated because they are told they can't do something. Plus the economy the way it is, not sure people are going to go for subscription. I mean most of the computers we get in are still Windows 7, even some Windows Vista as people are afraid of Windows 8 and don't like Windows 8 and want to keep their familiar pc running. Most of the builds we do, people want Windows 7, not Windows 8. When we've sold a PC with Windows 8, many people want classic shell or a variant. Rumors are Windows 9 will be better, but what if they pull another Windows 8 and add a subscription? How many people are going to say iPad or Mac?

Last edited:
Different thing. You don't have to keep perpetually paying the dealer to keep using your car. Sure you pay the bank because cars are expensive(why I'm glad mine is paid off), but you buy gas, or lets say programs for Microsoft Windows, from 3rd party vendors if you like. You don't have to be locked in. That's what is unfair if Microsoft charges you for subscriptions. I get office, but that's an extra feature. We are talking about the basic use of your pc, you already buy the product, so you tell me I then have to pay another amount each month to use a device I already paid hundreds for just because of Microsoft? If that is the path they take, I hope some Linux variant takes off.

I guess really we've never "owned" the OS, due to licensing, at least not legally, but in practice it's worked that way. If they do subscription, they may encourage software piracy, because how many people are going to be irritated because they are told they can't do something. Plus the economy the way it is, not sure people are going to go for subscription. I mean most of the computers we get in are still Windows 7, even some Windows Vista as people are afraid of Windows 8 and don't like Windows 8 and want to keep their familiar pc running. Most of the builds we do, people want Windows 7, not Windows 8. When we've sold a PC with Windows 8, many people want classic shell or a variant. Rumors are Windows 9 will be better, but what if they pull another Windows 8 and add a subscription? How many people are going to say iPad or Mac?

I'm not sure I follow how Microsoft changing the model for paying for the operating system is unfair? Microsoft has chosen one way of selling windows, and can decide going forward to change the way they charge for Windows.

Microsoft is in a precarious position with windows right now. they are under attack on the low end from smartphones, tablets and Chromebooks that run a free operating system ,and under attack on the high end from apple who makes the money on hardware and content sales and gives It's Operating system to users of it's hardware for free.

It's hard for a paid OS to compete with a free OS that makes it's money from advertising and content sales, and an OS that is free for buyers of that companies hardware.

My money is on there will be a free Windows OS. What that would look like as far as features go I do not kinow. Then the subscription component would be for added features + cloud and web services like Media Center + Streaming, Office + Office 365, or VSS + a baked in cloud backup built on Azure.

As far as fairness goes, I think that actually makes things more fair. How many big box stores can you walk into and buy an X86 box with out Windows? Regardless of if you are only going to use windows, or nuke the thing right out of the box and install linux you are paying for windows. In my mind that gives consumers more choice, and that is a good thing.

I'm not sure I follow how Microsoft changing the model for paying for the operating system is unfair? Microsoft has chosen one way of selling windows, and can decide going forward to change the way they charge for Windows.

Microsoft is in a precarious position with windows right now. they are under attack on the low end from smartphones, tablets and Chromebooks that run a free operating system ,and under attack on the high end from apple who makes the money on hardware and content sales and gives It's Operating system to users of it's hardware for free.

It's hard for a paid OS to compete with a free OS that makes it's money from advertising and content sales, and an OS that is free for buyers of that companies hardware.

My money is on there will be a free Windows OS. What that would look like as far as features go I do not kinow. Then the subscription component would be for added features + cloud and web services like Media Center + Streaming, Office + Office 365, or VSS + a baked in cloud backup built on Azure.

As far as fairness goes, I think that actually makes things more fair. How many big box stores can you walk into and buy an X86 box with out Windows? Regardless of if you are only going to use windows, or nuke the thing right out of the box and install linux you are paying for windows. In my mind that gives consumers more choice, and that is a good thing.

And so it's my problem therefore I have to pay a subscription because they are in a precarious position? It's business. That's not my fault or problem. Google and Apple are figuring it out. If Microsoft has a great product, show it off. And if you can go to stores and buy PC's with no OS, the average consumer may say "Huh? This computer does not work". If they go to subscription, they need to have the option for us to pay another way so we can pay for windows as we always have and not have the subscriptions. I have enough bills going out every month, I don't need to be dinged by Microsoft too.

Either way, if Microsoft eventually goes out, Google will develop Chrome OS further or Linux may one day become dominate.

Back