Microsoft starts autoupdating Windows 10 2004 to Windows 10 21H1

Unless I see something truly *auto* update, this article is misleading. I have not seen any version of Windows 10 truly autoupdate unless it was a version that was going out of support that the owner of the machine adamantly refused to activate the Download and install link (or use another method like the Update Assistant or updating using the latest ISO) before the drop dead date.

The days of autoupdating other than the single exception noted are long gone.

I can believe that machines that still have 2004 will not (and should not, really) be targeted for updating to anything other than 21H1 at this point.

this article is misleading
Well it's stating what Microsoft published here as cited in the article:
Windows 10, version 21H1 | Microsoft Docs

"We also started the first phase in our rollout for machine learning (ML) training, targeting devices on Windows 10, version 2004 to update automatically to Windows 10, version 21H1."

I suppose we could say Microsoft is being misleading until we actually see an auto update, but it the above was only published 5 days ago so it's a bit early to say.
I have not seen any version of Windows 10 truly autoupdate unless it was a version that was going out of support that the owner of the machine adamantly refused to activate the Download and install link
Well the earlier releases up to 2018 or so certainly did autoupdate within a couple of months of release, regardless if a user even went to the Windows Update window. At the time it was one of the biggest legitimate gripes about Windows 10. Since then the feature updates have been optional for a period until a user's version became unsupported, presumably as a response to that backlash.

So it appears they're now saying they're beginning to autoupdate again, before a user's version (2004) becomes unsupported (Dec 2021). Hopefully their 'Machine Learning' will prevent large numbers of issues. Still could be the odd issue though...

before a user's version (2004) becomes unsupported (Dec 2021).
Although your date is officially correct, MS has said basically the moment 21h2 drops, 2004 is out of support. Referring back to past history it will be October. MS just wants everyone up to date when 21h2 drops I guess to avoid issues.

Although your date is officially correct, MS has said basically the moment 21h2 drops, 2004 is out of support. Referring back to past history it will be October. MS just wants everyone up to date when 21h2 drops I guess to avoid issues.
This exactly, we can't wait until the end of an 18 month life to "start" updating machines. This process takes time, so yeah they're going to start pushing people forward. This is how it's worked since 1909, and this is how it's going to work going forward.

The only problem I have is it means some machines leap frog a release... which tends to make the upgrades a bit more harsh. But, I don't care because my managed rigs are all on 20H2 already.

Back