[TIP] Microsoft adds Windows 10 storage health monitoring for NVMe SSDs

Porthos

Reaction score
Microsoft added storage health monitoring to Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20226, the latest Windows build available for Windows Insiders in the Dev Channel.

Starting with this build, Windows 10 will alert users of any hardware issues affecting their NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express) Solid State Drives (SSDs) that could potentially lead to a risk of failure.

The new feature will also provide drive health information including estimated remaining life, available space, and their SSD devices' temperatures.

Windows 10 customers will be automatically notified when the spare storage capacity is low, if the SSD's reliability is degraded due to "significant media-related errors or an internal error to the NVM subsystem," or if the SSD is set to read-only preventing the OS or the user to write to it.

Storage health monitoring alert

I don't know why they bother. If they're just going to report when SMART reaches a "failed" status, then it's absolutely useless. In my experience, drives show "caution" and then fail. They hardly ever reach the actual "failed" state under SMART.

The failing drives I get in show a "caution" status 90% of the time, "normal" 9.9% of the time, and "failed" 0.1% of the time. Most computers' BIOS will also give a warning, but again, only if the SMART status is "failed."

Yes, but maybe this enhancement will provide more warning than the basic SMART fail.

I reckon MS should have acquired Crystal Disk Info and integrated it into Windows years ago.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see where the article says the alert only triggers on a status of Fail.
If it was to trigger on a status of Caution then IMHO this could be a good thing leading to more business.

Back