Maximum Office registrations for single Microsoft Account?

HCHTech

Reaction score
So I was helping another tech in my area with a large project today, 34 new workstations, data transfer, etc.

Each workstation needed Office & Publisher. He had purchased OEM Home & Business and OEM Standalone Publisher licenses. They all came in the little boxes with the product keys on cards.

The "plan" was to register them all with a single Microsoft account created for this purpose using one of the employee's email addresses. I know I remember a thread in the last couple of years about this being a problem, but a quick search didn't find it. I spent a couple of minutes on Google, also with indeterminate results.

So we forged ahead in the name of science. :)

Apparently the limit is either 11 or 12, or it was in our case, at least. After that, the installs wouldn't activate unless you used the telephone method. It took you directly to the account page and asked you to pick which license was the one you were activating - which a) didn't make sense since only of the licenses that were ALREADY ACTIVATED showed on the account page, and b) you can't tell which license was which without clicking on the 'Install from Disk' and then 'I have a disk' links, followed by the 'show product key' button. What a headache.

On the last one I tried, after clicking on the click-to-run icon and entering the product key for Office, it installed Publisher. I know I put in the right key because I had the card in my hand and hadn't even opened the Publisher box yet. I decided that was a good place to stop, LOL.

We were out of time for the day in any event, so I guess they will create another Microsoft account to start the day tomorrow.

But seriously, what a cluster****. I am not buying the idea of creating an MS account for every employee, how the heck do you manage that as a business? What exactly is the plan here, Microsoft?

I don't normally deal with installations this large so I guess I'll ask the naive question here: what is the *correct* way to register office for groups of >11 or 12? Separate individual MS accounts? Really? I get it that for 100 you would use volume licensing, but there is a vast gulf between that and the onesie-twosies in the SOHO crowd that are ok with individual licensing.

I've currently got 24 on one account, but in the last 2-3 months, none of them activate (online) after install. A couple would activate after a reboot. But yes, the telephone activation is really annoying on a brand new key.

I've been registering each license against the end users (I make them a Live account, complete with DoB, ZIP, complex password, etc.).

Aside from having to know and provide such personal information, we also hit a wall that wouldn't let us CREATE more than 4 LIVE accounts from the same IP in a 24 hour period... we ended up using HMA! in order to proceed with multiple account creations.

This is a complete waste of time and my documentation time has increased dramatically.

And yes, what happens when the employee leaves? Go through a complicated process to re-assign the key to a new user?

Don't know... but with Office 2010 it was a simple matter of having the ISO on the server, install, copy/paste key, launch, activate, done.

The crazy part is I haven't had anyone complain and ask why I billed them 3x the amount of time it normally takes me to do an install...

PS: interested to know the "answer" to your question.

Update: We continued the installs to the same MS account today, using telephone activation (another joyous thing). When we tried the 31st install, we got a message that we had exceeded the maximum number of products that could be registered to one account.

This isn't my project, I'm just a helper, and the tech that hired me for help insisted we continue to use the same MS account. I figure as long as he is paying me my going hourly rate, I'll do what he wants, even if it takes longer than necessary. :)

So...with only 4 more to go, we'll have to create an additional account tomorrow to finish up.

Conclusion, the "soft" limit is 10-12 and the "hard" limit is 30.

Conclusion #2, Office 2013 activation for small and mid-sized business is a disaster. Maybe Office 2016 will be better, but I doubt it.

Back