M.2 - I'm struggling to keep up.

Diggs

Reaction score
Not only are there a dozen different versions of M.2 drives. I have a refurbished Dell where I ordered this 240 GB M.2 when it seems to need this? (The machine/BIOS doesn't even see the first one.) Really? Now even the same modules aren't interchangeable? Pffft! I'm struggling to keep up here.

Last edited:
Did you look up the BoM at Dell using the serial number?

I noticed the below on the one you ordered. Maybe the machine isn't compatible with it.

• AES 256-bit Hardware Encryption Self-Encrypting Drive (SED) and TCG Opal 2.0.

Yeah M.2 is pretty horrifically generic.

But in this case both listed drives are both SATA, so I'd assume they'd both work aside from a DOA.

I read the article but the BIOS is not the same. I don't have the IRST options anywhere that I can find. My menu options are also not the same. I'm changing it to the 2280 M.2 as I read another discussion where someone was having the same problem as I am with the M.2 slot not being recognized with a standard B key M.2 drive. He found the manual states 2230 or 2280 memory only. He changed to the 2280 and had no problems after that. I admit. I haven't tried it yet. Just know the M.2 module I do have installed is not recognized at all. Not even in the BIOS slot information.

@add - ...and although I'm not a Kingston SSD fan I'm using an inexpensive drive in case the are problems with the MB I don't yet know about.

Last edited:
Did you look up the BoM at Dell using the serial number?

I noticed the below on the one you ordered. Maybe the machine isn't compatible with it.

• AES 256-bit Hardware Encryption Self-Encrypting Drive (SED) and TCG Opal 2.0.
Oops - Missed this. I've looked up the Service Tag number but didn't see any special M.2 requirements. I may have grabbed a drive that does though. Good catch.

Arruuu??? So this won't work even though it is a 2280? (Wow! M.2 is even more a mess than I thought....)
According to the user manual that drive is a NVME interface, which is separate from the optane slot. The drives you initially linked to appear to be SATA/mSATA.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 5.36.15 PM.png

I'm back on this project again and I can find no way in the BIOS to make it boot without the NVMe drive. In turn I cannot find a NVMe B-key 250+ GB drive anywhere. I want to boot and use the NVMe as the primary drive without the SATA drive. I hate these split arrangements (16 GB NVMe boot RAID'd with a 1 TB spinner) especially with Intel's Optane NVMe and just want to make it one drive for everything.

...and I appreciate the suggestion @Porthos , but I need a B-key module and am just not finding one.

Last edited:
It's entirely possible that the slot config is intended just for Optane. Have you tried posting over at Dell's forums?
As I understand this, optane must be disabled IN WINDOWS before you make changes. Diggs will need to put the system back as he originally found it and disable it the Intel storage system. There should be a setting in bios per the link porthos posted but it doesn’t always appear. Those Dell are better doorstops. Piece of ****!

It's entirely possible that the slot config is intended just for Optane. Have you tried posting over at Dell's forums?
Not yet. I post here on tech stuff first. I appreciate the members opinion more than anywhere else.

As I understand this, optane must be disabled IN WINDOWS before you make changes. Diggs will need to put the system back as he originally found it and disable it the Intel storage system. There should be a setting in bios per the link porthos posted but it doesn’t always appear. Those Dell are better doorstops. Piece of ****!
That could be why I don't see BIOS options for the Optane. It may need to be installed to show up. Dell shows the slot will accept up to a 512 GB (non-Optane) module or 16/32 GB Optane. It's a fresh install of Windows. I didn't think Windows should be the problem. The reason I have the machine is that it BSOD'd on the customer three separate times with the third time coming to me. He lost all confidence in it and wanted it gone.

@add - I'm having the same problem as discussed in this thread - https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/optane-memory-is-this-stuff-absolute-garbage.86184/

Last edited:
After doing some tooling around on it looks like there is no such thing as a B key NVMe SSD. But I did find that the B + M key is supposed to work in either a B slot or a M slot.

After doing some tooling around on it looks like there is no such thing as a B key NVMe SSD. But I did find that the B + M key is supposed to work in either a B slot or a M slot.

Correct. The M.2 CAN interface to both the I/O controller and the PCI memory interface but unlike a real PCIe connection the wiring for both isn't always present and some pins are shared on both key pinouts. Thus the keyed slot, to prevent you from plugging up a device into the wrong pinouts.

Back