Local paper ads

Tech bud

Reaction score
Has anyone had success with local paper ads. I inquired about them, it seems like a steep price for something I know I just throw away.

They want $1200 for 6 listings, so total of 6 weeks.

Has anyone had success? Maybe paid newspapers would be better as I know they are not getting thrown away.

No real luck. One thing you may look at is sending them a "press release" about your business. They may be looking for some quick stories to fill the space and you can get a free article about you. I can't remember where I learned that little trick.

I've run a small services ad in my local paper's directory for about 25 years. It's not terribly expensive, I think it's currently $350.00 for a 10 week run, and it goes to 6 surrounding towns in a weekly free edition. I'm not sure if I get any new business out of it, but I know for sure that old clients check to see if it's still running to see if I am still in business. Sometimes when I go to a client's home, I find a 15 year old version of my ad clipped and taped to their desk or fridge. So, for what it's worth, i think $1200 for a 6 week run is far too much, but if they have a cheaper area like a services directory, it's probably worth it.

I initially got some customers using a local newspaper ad. There is still a segment (older) of the market that uses them. After 4-6 months I stopped but I still saw those ads taped on customer's refrigerators and computers years later. If you can afford it, it's one of the bases you should cover during start up but it wouldn't be something to continue with. Diminishing returns......

If I'm going to spend money on media, I find that advertising with the local NPR station can be very effective in getting new clients (and generally in the higher income demographics). Also, placing ads in the programs of your local performing arts venues including, but not limited to, community theater productions.

Those who come to you via those channels generally also like that you're supporting NPR and your local performing arts scene.

I find that advertising with the local NPR station can be very effective in getting new clients (and generally in the higher income demographics).
That's a really good idea. Finding the higher income customers is certainly a plus.

Just plain advertising is going to do much. You need to think about focus and market. @britechguy and @carmen617 made good points along those lines. You should also look at EDDM from the USPS. Get access to demographic data by zip so you don't waste money and time prospecting empty lots or abandoned buildings. A guy I do work with still has a Yellow Pages ad but haven't seen anything from that in ages.

By the way, and regardless of how many ways you may try to "get the word out there," it's a good idea to develop the habit of asking folks who "cold call" you looking for service how they learned about you.

Very often you find that what you thought was driving business to your door is doing nothing, and vice versa.

I am not as good about following my own advice as I should be, but I do try to ask those who are calling me/texting me/emailing me how they found out about me.

Also, never, ever, ever fail to return call/text/email anyone who contacts you, no matter how "iffy" the prospect seems. Even when I get queries about things such as repairs that would require soldering (which I don't do), I always reach out and give that person contact information for a local TV Sales & Service that does do this work, and not just for TVs. Over time a lot of those folks come back to me later when a computer issue I can address occurs. Even some of those clearly looking for a bit of free advice have steered others who were not my way or come back to me later (or even now, once I tell them one thing that they feel is "beyond me to fix").

If I'm going to spend money on media, I find that advertising with the local NPR station can be very effective in getting new clients (and generally in the higher income demographics). Also, placing ads in the programs of your local performing arts venues including, but not limited to, community theater productions.

Those who come to you via those channels generally also like that you're supporting NPR and your local performing arts scene.
Local NPR, local radio correct? Also the theater are you just putting up flyers?

Local affiliate of National Public Radio (not commercial stations). Buying ad space in the local community theater's show programs (I don't know of a single one that doesn't raise some of their funds from ad placement by local businesses in programs for the shows they produce).

No real luck. One thing you may look at is sending them a "press release" about your business. They may be looking for some quick stories to fill the space and you can get a free article about you. I can't remember where I learned that little trick.
Old thread but yeah, if you're doing anything unusual, volunteering whatever. Send a press release.

I've had no success at all with physical advertising. Literally zero. For what it's worth I haven't recently had fliers sent door to door in many years but even 10 years ago the success rate wasn't good. I get calls all the time about the golf course wanting to sell me ad space on their score cards or some restaurant wanting to sell me ad space on their menus/place mats and stuff like that but I've never bitten. If they have to cold call shops, obviously the advertising doesn't work. If it did then the businesses that buy that ad space would buy it again. I also remember some bowling ally wanting to charge me to have my logo printed on their balls or something weird like that. Physical advertising just isn't for me.

Some of it depends on your target market. Since a good part of my market was residential in-home service/repair the demographics were older, affluent that still had access to and used printed media. The cheap and the kids came from Google reviews.

The cheap and the kids came from Google reviews.

But I'd say these days, even a good chunk of the senior citizen market finds us that way, too.

I have three parrots, and while my only reliable source of cage liner is from senior citizens (which, if I'm honest, I'm one of now), but it's from a small niche of those, too.

Sometimes when I go to a client's home, I find a 15 year old version of my ad clipped and taped to their desk or fridge. So, for what it's worth, i think $1200 for a 6 week run is far too much, but if they have a cheaper area like a services directory, it's probably worth it.
Sometimes I see an ancient business card of mine taped to a monitor. Oh little thought. I usually do a shortcut to my website on my client's desktop and name it with my phone number on it. Not the right place to mention this, but I'll forget to share in five minutes.

I think in very small rural areas it can still work to some degree. I've had an ad in a local paper since 2008 and it only costs me around $100 USD per month for it and the business directory part which shows other local businesses etc. Pretty cheap and gets some business but I'd say it certainly doesn't work as good as it did the first 4 or 5 years that's for sure. I really just keep it there to show I'm still around. Most new clients are word of mouth or found online searching.

Any larger area where the costs are much higher I bet it'd be tough to even recoup the initial investment now IMO.

Back