Linx Saves my bacon again!

ClickRight

Reaction score
I was at a client's setting up their computer after they had it upgraded elsewhere. He got a new motherboard (Asus P5QL Pro) RAM (Kingston 2GB x3) and a new CPU (Q9400?) The machine BSODed during the install of XP. I suspected bad RAM and started memtest, which found errors immediately. Then I pulled one stick of RAM and Memtest was no longer immediately throwing errors. Just to be sure, I put the RAM back in and memtest failed instantly. The customer drove back to where he had the upgrade done and exchanged the memory.

XP installed and the machine was working quite fine till another BSOD appeared. I just let it reboot and started to load up the memory dump. It was corrupt. I decided to run Linx and it found a fault immediately and halted. Then I started prime95 which ran for a few minutes without error. I pulled out yet another stick of RAM, and Linx ran through a couple passes no problem. The customer returned with the exchanged RAM and I put it in; Linx failed instantly. By this time I had already verified the RAM was on the QVL for the ASUS motherboard (well the CL5 was. this was CL6) and I verified that the memory was running at the correct timings. The motherboard also had the latest BIOS.

Remembering back, I've had issues with Asus boards and memory before and had to increase the voltage to the northbridge. SO, I increased the voltage to the northbridge by 0.10v. At this time I was able to add all the memory back and run Linx for over 20 minutes without issue.

It sure seems to work better than Prime95 and I used it last week to help me find faults with a bad PSU and CPU. This is definitely something to add to your toolkit.

Link to Linx: LinX - The simpliest Linpack interface.

I was reading becuase I was interested in the bacon you have dispointed me on one front but given me a utility so you are forgiven.

Back