[REQUEST] Linux certification

The actual test or the studying for it?

I believe the actual test is about 2-3 hours

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

How long the studying is going to take will depend enormously on how much you know about and have worked with Linux and whether your knowledge is as a user (how to use it), admin (how to make it operate) or developer (how it works so I can add things).

Some things you should understand answers to even if they're not actually asked:
  • systemd or init.d, and why? (note: systemd is pretty much a done deal, but you still need to understand this)
  • 'network' or NetworkManager? (same)
  • what's in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and why might you care?
  • vim or Emacs?
  • separate /var partition? Other partitions?

Will wildly depend on you as a person. Will also depend on how you are studying. Will you be using books watching a video take a course?

Just because you can power through the textbook in a day doesn't mean you have learned it all.

As previously mentioned past experience will come into play here as well

How long the studying is going to take will depend enormously on how much you know about and have worked with Linux and whether your knowledge is as a user (how to use it), admin (how to make it operate) or developer (how it works so I can add things).

Some things you should understand answers to even if they're not actually asked:
  • systemd or init.d, and why? (note: systemd is pretty much a done deal, but you still need to understand this)
  • vim or Emacs?

• vim or Emacs?
Noted

Will wildly depend on you as a person. Will also depend on how you are studying. Will you be using books watching a video take a course?

Just because you can power through the textbook in a day doesn't mean you have learned it all.

As previously mentioned past experience will come into play here as well

I will be reading and watching some YouTube videos. Thanks.

Still depends on how fast you absorb information. If you have to watch the video twice to understand it your learning will take twice as long

Still depends on how fast you absorb information. If you have to watch the video twice to understand it your learning will take twice as long

then it will, but I'm willing to put in the work.

Jaded cynical whitebearded guy pithy commentary:

Certifications are a measurement tool.
Certifications are not a goal.
Understanding is the goal.

In the trade press the best example of problems with certifications is the term "Paper MCSE" meaning someone who's taken courses and passed the exams, but who has no idea how to actually do things in the real world.

We aren't questioning your willingness to learn we are simply saying we can't tell you how long it will take you to learn.

I have some users who pick up on things right away while I have others who will swear up and down they have never been shown how to do it even though they have been dozens of times

Back