Latest NUC installation

HCHTech

Reaction score
We recently did a 4-computer new office setup, using Intel NUC computers. We normally use Lenovo Tiny computers these days, but we couldn't source the specs we wanted quickly enough for this client, so they went elsewhere for the hardware.

The NUCs were 12th Gen i5, 16GB RAM & 256GB SSDs, Win11 Pro machines. They are thicker than the Lenovo Tiny units, but they can mount on any VESA monitor that doesn't use the VESA connection for the desk stand, so that's a plus. They aren't as "neat" as the Lenovos since they require a separate power brick and a special (not included) 1' HDMI cable for the video connection. The Lenovo units, when you use the Tiny-in-One monitor, use a single power brick for both the monitor and the computer, and there is no separate video cable since that connection is direct. Plus, the monitor power button powers up the computer in their Tiny-in-one setup. So pros and cons, but they worked, gave the same basic "all in one" look to the user.

Time will tell about their reliability but so far so good. I still prefer the Lenovo Tinys but we're down to about a 50% success rate on availability of the one we want on any given day. Nice to have another option to look at.

We recently did a 4-computer new office setup, using Intel NUC computers. We normally use Lenovo Tiny computers these days, but we couldn't source the specs we wanted quickly enough for this client, so they went elsewhere for the hardware.

The NUCs were 12th Gen i5, 16GB RAM & 256GB SSDs, Win11 Pro machines. They are thicker than the Lenovo Tiny units, but they can mount on any VESA monitor that doesn't use the VESA connection for the desk stand, so that's a plus. They aren't as "neat" as the Lenovos since they require a separate power brick and a special (not included) 1' HDMI cable for the video connection. The Lenovo units, when you use the Tiny-in-One monitor, use a single power brick for both the monitor and the computer, and there is no separate video cable since that connection is direct. Plus, the monitor power button powers up the computer in their Tiny-in-one setup. So pros and cons, but they worked, gave the same basic "all in one" look to the user.

Time will tell about their reliability but so far so good. I still prefer the Lenovo Tinys but we're down to about a 50% success rate on availability of the one we want on any given day. Nice to have another option to look at.
I've deployed about 20 Intel NUC's (7th to 12th Gen i7, 16 to 32 GB ram, 256 to 1TB SSD's) so far, running various flavours of Linux, Win 10 and Win 11.
Only one returned with a dead cooling fan. Found a cooling fan on a "PC parts" website (dont remember it's name now) and no problems since.
Most running 24/7/365.
They are a neat alternative solution.

Love the form factor regardless of brand/model. Really don't need big clunky "towers" on the floor or even taking up desktop real estate. Nice to mount these behind monitors....even if you have a monitor that won't work with a vesa mount and its stand....just leaving them on the desktop takes up such minimal space. Don't need to give up graphics power either, I run a Quadro card in mine with quad mini display ports.

I have 2 of these coming next month ... (I'm using the UM690 as my daily driver and love it!)

Screenshot 2023-05-23 082851.png

Took me literally 5 minutes to change out that dead fan.

Let me be clear, not *every* repair will be as difficult as they are on laptops, but I'll still bet that a lot of things that are dead simple in a full-sized tower, and even not all that difficult in a small form factor, will be more difficult in a NUC.

And this is strictly because you have more "stuff" stuffed into a very small space, and "stuff" is often going to have to be gotten out of the way to get at "other stuff" which you don't have when working inside of bigger cases.

It's all relative, and there's little doubt that laptops are "the worst."

They are usually easier than laptops. Just screws on a small box. No having to pry with plastic shim tools, no risks of breaking tabs, and no f-ing screens.
While I see the appeal of this form factor, these things must be every bit as fun to service as laptops are!
Let me be clear, not *every* repair will be as difficult as they are on laptops, but I'll still bet that a lot of things that are dead simple in a full-sized tower, and even not all that difficult in a small form factor, will be more difficult in a NUC.

And this is strictly because you have more "stuff" stuffed into a very small space, and "stuff" is often going to have to be gotten out of the way to get at "other stuff" which you don't have when working inside of bigger cases.

It's all relative, and there's little doubt that laptops are "the worst."
Granted that the open space of a desktop makes repairs/upgrades a cinch (although I have had gaming towers I've built that are so crammed full that changing ram is a nightmare too).

And lets not take into account the "hybrids" like the SMF Acer's that were basically a laptop in a box, or All-In-Ones that are just mind bendingly complex sometimes.

But, both desktops and NUC's are far, far easier to repair/upgrade than any "modern" laptop.

We all remember the good old days of panels on the bottoms of laptops to facilitate changing ram, HDD etc.

Easy as, better than taking apart numerous components. Even an entire mobo teardown just to get to the freakin RAM on some laptops. If the board fails, if it cannot be repaired one can always purchase a new motherboard for the NUC's

Reactions: GTP
While I see the appeal of this form factor, these things must be every bit as fun to service as laptops are!
Not at all, wonderfully simple (at least the Lenovo TinyPC, and the little Dell Opti Tinys are)
On the Lenovo, single thumb screw on the back, spin that off....front bezel/top slides forward and off. Underside panel slides back and off. Both of those slide off from that single thumb screw being removed. Everything wonderfully accessible...upgrade RAM, upgrade NVMe or add second drive. Never had to swap out a motherboard but it would also be simple, it's right there, access to the standoff screws is right there. If one has a Tiny Workstation (the higher grade graphics models)...the daughter card for the Quadro graphics card slides right out.

Some towers require two thumb screws (I've seen 3).before you slide off that garage door side. And not alwasys "thumb screws"..sometimes regular screws...gotta get a screwdriver. And extra "oomph" as you lift them up and clear desk space to have enough room to work on them. Yeah, Tinys are actually..mucho easier.

NUCs are usually sold as barebone units, so they're designed to easily add the RAM and storage. The only other component is the mainboard which is also easily removed.

On an early NUC model I set up as a home theatre PC I found it too noisy, so I found there was an aftermarket case for it from Silverstone that was designed for passive cooling (heatsink and grill on top). It was easily rebuilt into the alternate case. I used it for about 12 years until I bought a Sony TV with Android OS that does everything I need.

Ohh. I don't use anything else and haven't for over 10 years (unless there is a real need for something else) and some to the 10 year ones are still running. Honestly maybe 1000 installs and I've had 2 that have failed completely and a couple of others that the peripherals have been an issue. Yes you can get thick and thin ones.

Service them usually every 6 to 12 months as well. Easy to pull apart.

I still have (although not using) one of the 5th gen i5 versions of these Intel NUCs. I stopped using it last year when i upgraded to a laptop and i had it since the 5th gens came out. Intel gave it to me as a demo model.

Back