Is PC repair a dead business?

You forget they already had cloud computers with mainframes. Look how popular they are now with the residential users?

Not even comparable, technically all of the below are considered "cloud computing":
  • Facebook
  • Gmail and other online email
  • Google Docs
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • picasa online

How popular are these?

I agree with joydivision, there will always be something. Just make sure you keep up with the trends.

EP

How will they transfer all of their data from the broken computer to the new one :p

Ideally (for them), they won't keep their data locally. As it is, more and more people are using online mail (in fact, the local Telco - and major ISP- is now forcing their users to creat a live account).

I'm sure it won't be long before "Google Drive" is a reality. A virtual Drive where you will keep all of your data.

Don't fool yourself, the next thing you know we'll be booting an os across the Internet like you boot a terminal with Terminal Services and terminal software.

edit - "google drive" just got a lot closer now that you can upload any files to Google Docs.

EP

Last edited:
The problem in the UK at the moment is a lot of people are using ADSL so the upload speed is too slow to actually store massive amounts of data online. When this improves with new fibre optic technology (we already have this but only one company provides until now) then true cloud computing can arrive.

I already get work from showing people how to use facebook and that sort of thing. My business has become increasingly software base I even do websites now. However my degree was heavily software based so it makes sense for me to move down this market.

However there is a twist, when computers were very cheap here 18 months ago I was often advising clients it is not worth repairing but now I am doing more hardware repairs because now a base entry level system costs £250 where as a year ago I could buy a brand new fairly decent spec system for £200.

I still find it rather sad that in 2010 nothing much has changed, technology is slowing down in terms of the PC but the idea of a PC is obsolete now. As longs as we move with the technology we can emerge stronger and better businesses.

For the next year I think virus removal will still be my pig cash pig but as more people get Windows 7 which is better protected from viruses we will see less of it and we can spend more time on our real passions.

I am actually very excited about what new business distributed computing can bring us.

I think PC repair is a dead business, technology support is a new market and this is what we need to become if we are going to survive.

The cloud is all hype. It will be beneficial to the "average user" but people will learn quickly that the cloud will be like big brother. People will still want control of their systems, their internet choices and their back up solutions.

I have been asked to attend many cloud meetings and I decline. AOL started off as a "cloud" and look where they ended up.

Cloud will be good for businesses though, I think that Sharepoint is a good example of Cloud technology that works.

The cloud is all hype.

I agree that the term "cloud computing" is all hype. However, by definition, anything you interact with on the internet (or is hosted remotely) is cloud computing - and it gets to be more and more every year (month?).

I also disagree that people want control (unless by people, you mean techs). People want ease of use. Ask a customer if they would be interested in a system that:
  • Does their backups for them
  • Is available from any internet terminal anywhere
  • Saves them time and money if their pc crashes

What do you think they would say?

AOL really isn't a good example, it was doing great until Time Warner purchased it. I never used it or endorsed it, but it certainly helped millions easily get on the internet. It hid the "complicated" stuff and made it easy to use.

Please keep in mind, I'm not necessarily talking about "cloud computing" as it is today, I'm talking about the concept and likely future of it.

My two cents...

EP

If anyone really thinks "cloud computing" is not a way of the future then might want to read up on it a bit more.

Same thing was pretty much said about the "managed services" concept when that came out. "Nobody is going to use that", "There is no market for that"...Well I think people who are now utilizing managed services would gladly be happy to argue that point.

Remember Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp, in 1977
"There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home.”

I bet he would like a re-take on that one.

Internet users

* 1.73 billion – Internet users worldwide (September 2009).

Remember Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp, in 1977
"There is no need for any individual to have a computer in their home.”

I bet he would like a re-take on that one.

Internet users

* 1.73 billion – Internet users worldwide (September 2009).

Before the internet there was little reason for a person to have a PC. When we first started offering dialup access to the internet in 1992 nobody except PC enthusiasts had a computer.

On an episode of "Married With Children" the Bundy's buy a computer and nobody uses it. "Marcy" says something lame like "you can keep recipes on it" or "sports scores". Hardly a reason to buy one.

When the internet took off in 1995 suddenly everyone wanted to get on and then having a computer in the home made sense.

A lot of people had PCs before the internet there was a lot of reasons then thanks to the 486 DX2-66 a new reason suddenly existed - games.

We've had a PC since 1993 (an IBM 386) but didn't get the internet until May 97.

We've had a computer since 1984, a C64.

With new technologies coming out faster all the time, older generations cannot keep up. They are still trying to work out how to program the video player.

There are people making money from just setting up people's TVs etc. So maybe we'll just move towards a Home Technolgy Support business model?

With new technologies coming out faster all the time, older generations cannot keep up. They are still trying to work out how to program the video player.

There are people making money from just setting up people's TVs etc. So maybe we'll just move towards a Home Technolgy Support business model?

That was exactly my take on the "future of computing". I pitched on the support and advice of just about everything with a plug on the end option. I'll let you know in the next 6 months if it was viable hehe

Brent

A bottom of the barrel laptop might be $300 and the desktop $200, but as long as ALL or MOST of them aren't that price, it'll be okay.

As long as the best buy salesmen can talk their customers into spending more on a $750 laptop than getting the on sale $400 laptop, I'll still have customers bringing in work for repair.

It's a vicious circle... oh wait...

If all you do is clean viruses and replace Grandma's hard drive then yes your business will eventually fail in today's tech world. However, there will always be a need especially in the business environment for someone who can install, repair, and maintain servers, networks, phone systems, etc.

I'm looking at buying a new HDTV LED tv, I noticed it comes with internet widgets, perfect, so you know where the TV industry is leaning, I don't know about you, but my bench doesn't have room for a 55" wide-screen with a crashed hard drive and antivirus 2009 popping up on it!!! As long as people want to save their personal data locally, and don't have the interest or time to straighten things out, we'll be busy!

However, there will always be a need especially in the business environment for someone who can install, repair, and maintain servers, networks, phone systems, etc.

Agreed, but the real business will happen for those companies that can host those last two services mentioned - which eliminate the first three as onsite tasks.

Between backups (Online backups), phone systems (Ring Central), hosted DB apps and hosted email (MS solutions, GMail) we are so close to this reality it isn't even funny.

EP

This is the future we're looking at:

Computers will be primarily mobile and essentially disposable due to their low cost. It will be cheaper to buy new than repair. I predict that within 5 years there will be a device which is offered for FREE by a company with free data plan.

All data will be held in the cloud -- look at Google OS -- not stored on the device. This being the case any "software" being used is continually updated and refreshed and virus free without input from the user. Got a major problem? Just hit factory reset and login again.

Computers will no longer be modular, rather one unit, many of which will be builtin to household devices like televisions etc.

Business networks will be managed by large centralised companies and applications provided via a browser.

If you want to see the future forget desktop PCs or even laptops. Look at the direction mobile phones are going in. It's no surprise that Google has been pushing so hard in this area. I think it was Sergey Brin who said that his aim was that every person should have access to a free mobile "phone" and free service and use cloud based services. Mobile computing will be 80% of the business within 10 years.

Last edited:
Half my business is in support, all this new crap will need supporting too. There is a big difference between support and repairs :).

In 2006 when I setup my business the long term PC repair business is dead, its why I called myself a technology company. By the end of the year I am hoping to be reselling a lot of cloud products and I intend to move my business away from general repairs by 2012 before its too late. In two years time I hope repairs and virus removals are just side line, where as todfay anything on the cloud is a side line.

Computer Repair Business

My business is doing fine. Computers may be cheap but the average person is not going to throw money away just because of price. There are memories (pictures etc.) that the normal person won't give up. This is especially true if you are willing to do 'House Call' like my business. You just have to make sure that YOUR name is the one they think of when the computer craps, and it will someday. Flooding your area with yur name and logo may be the key. Maybe lowering your price. Special promotions might do it. Business maintenance contracts could work. Anyone that has ever had a business knows the ups and downs. Auto mechanics in the late 70's (before jiffy lube and AAMCO) made 6 figure salarys. There is Still a great need for them. There will always be a need for computer techs. Businesses in Houston are now employing sub-contract techs so they don't have to pay benefits. You will need the proper credentials and insurance but it is there. If you don;t think it is worth the time and effort, then maybe this business isn't for you.

Back