Iphones / Apple ID, am I going to brick the iphone?

autumn

Reaction score
If I do a factory reset on an Iphone, am I going to brick the phone if I can't access the current AppleID?

long story, we have been going around in circles with Apple ID's for a company with several Iphones and different Apple ID's. One of the Apple ID's we have finally reset the password after jumping though hoops and waiting and waiting and waiting (2weeks) to reset the Apple ID password. However there are 2 more IPhones with a different Apple ID to that other one, (same Apple ID's on both these phones) however when I go to reset the password for this Apple ID it is asking for the phones passcode, no one is using passcodes to unlock the phones so no one knows what it is. So now we can't reset the password because we don't have the passcode. So if I factory reset the Iphones will it want access the the current Apple ID to set a new one? Or if you can help with Apple Business, if I enrol them in to the Apple Business account will I need the existing Apple ID details?

I think I've said this before, I hate Apple for business and even worst when the business has a rotation of employees, often.

Yes you will brick it, it will ask for the Apple ID, if you cannot reset the password contact Apple support for help

Do they have proof of purchase? That's another way to reset and unlock the device. It won't reset the Apple Service password but would at least allow them to use another

Been a while but I don't believe that you would brick it I believe instead it won't let you do the factory reset without the passcode and/or password.

The original intent and purpose of all this Apple ID and iOS stuff was to prevent/discourage theft. If you are unable to get a working Apple ID on the device then it's just a paper weight if you nuke it. I've never done this but there have been stories of people with purchase receipts getting Apple to fix a unknown Apple ID problem. And you'll most likely need to bring it to an Apple Authorized Outlet to speed up the process. Just like anything else thse days that's the only place you'll be able to speak to a human. Even then they might not know the details.

thanks all.

I think the simplest thing is to advise the client that we can't do anything without the password, even factory reset. And if they want me to go though the process of contacting Apple to reset it.

I assume that if we put them in the Apple Business account then the Apple ID's mean nothing for a factory reset etc.

You have to have the password to unlock the device to enroll it into ABM.

There is no getting around the need for that account!

P.S. If you do get it into the ABM, that also means an MDM is there, and enrolling the phone means a factory reset.

Back