I'm closing my business.

Kitten Kong

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
An interesting discussion this week on good ol' FB has reminded me of this statement.

I've made the extremely difficult decision to stop my business Cadishead Computers from the end of the month Oct 2021. and take a prolonged break. Maybe short term, maybe permanent, I am really not quite sure yet.

This decision was certainly prompted by Covid, having been in business since 2006, I started off with nothing, have grown the business to some 3,000 clients, all of whom I cannot thank enough.

2 years ago, I did my 6 monthly accounts, and my turnover was down over £10,000 in those 6 months compared to the same time the previous year.

I have tried to battle on since then, but my mental health is really struggling once again.

To the point where I have stopped answering the phone, I'm taking FAR to long to repair any items which come into the workshop.

What used to be a passion of mine, has turned into an albatross around my neck. I just can't cope any more.

But I've also had a tough year personally. Well actually many tough years, if I really look back and analyse.

Complete breakdown of confidence and self worth, business struggles in new areas, then Covid, lockdowns, and health challenges this year, plus so much more.

All while trying to keep afloat and put one foot in front of the other.

I'm often reminded...other people have it worse....and I'm very aware that I am fortunate to have found the most extraordinary human being to share my life with - I've honestly never known love like it - and I have my lovely dogs , a nice home, and a business that is ticking over.

I just want to say a huge thank you to ALL of my clients from over the years. I have made some fantastic friends.

I have a LOT of stock which I will be selling. I also have a lot of old clients machines in, which I need to start getting back to them.

Please don't think bad of me, I am doing this, for MY mental health, and MY life.

Who knows, one day, I may be back again, doing what I have loved doing for over 15 years. That is helping people within my community.

Thank you all.

Let's see what 2022 brings.....

I will still be an admin on here, nothing is going to change that.

I just wanted you all to know.

Thanks Nige :)

I so understand where you're coming from Nige. We have had a very successful business here since 2004. But I think Covid (or more its repercussions) has had a tremendous impact on not only our business but almost every business (except pharmaceutical). The thing that I am so upset about is how so many companies are taking advantage of the "shortages and lack of manpower". Please tell me why prices for used computer parts on EBay have tripled since Covid - GREED. Prices for video cards in the $600-$1000 range - get real!!!!

I have been considering shutting our business down too, but I just can't do it. We have wonderful clients for the majority and we would feel like we am deserting them. I and my staff also find we are taking longer to do repairs now too but I feel that is due to the overall business climate we are now in. We have a hard time tripling our pricing for services and parts. We don't want to piss our good clients off but we can't operate in the negative either.

I feel your pain Nige but hang in there and don't take it personal - many of use are in the same boat right now.

God bless you and any decisions you make in your life. Love being a part of TN.

Nige,

One line, in particular, that you wrote really strikes me, "Please don't think bad of me, I am doing this, for MY mental health, and MY life."

No one else, even your customers, has any right to think badly of you for making decisions that make your own life better that are not coming at the direct expense of others. I'm not saying that your customers don't value you, and you them, but there is *always* another service provider.

When one reaches the point, for whatever reason, that "going in to the office" is something one dreads and it's an effort to put one foot in front of the other, the very best thing one can do is say, "No more!," and stop. I congratulate you for having reached that point, as in earlier times of my life I have, too. My only regret in those instances is that I did not do what I knew needed to be done - walking away - far sooner than I did.

Take care of yourself. You have every right to do what you need to do to keep life and soul together.

Sincere best wishes for healthier, happier and better times ahead, Nige. It seems to me you have made the right decision and I'm sure your customers would agree, and are grateful for your yeoman service over the years. Good on you!

Nige,
Best of luck in whatever direction your endeavors take you. Certainly a smart choice to put YOU and YOUR FAMILY first, health, etc.

I struggle to find the passion in this job too......I have less and less "great days"....and more and more "high stress and feel like a slave to my clients" days. Having all business clients is great money, but also great stress.

I envy those who can walk away and change directions, basically "reboot their life" in another direction. Dream of that myself.

Nige,
Wishing you nothing but the best. I been following your post the past couple years of how you been feeling and I am sorry to hear that you have been struggling. My thoughts are with you.

Hey Nige, echoed sentiments from me too. Its been tough for all us with this damn covid pandemic.
All the best in your future endeavors.
Cheers mate.

Yeah, feel that pain. I shut down one of my businesses in 2020. The combination of shipping delays and platform changes just killed things.

Get some rest, tinker around the house, do things you didn't have time to do. Basically keep yourself busy but not to the point of being stressed.

Avoid making any huge decision regards equipment or stuff like that, you can always store equipment for a bit until you decide exactly what you would like to do.

All the best, Nige. This had to be a tough decision - and probably a big relief once the transition is over. I'll raise a glass in your direction tonight!

Back