I have a plan!

Mike McCall

Reaction score
Really, I do. At least that's what I've been telling my wife for over 25-years now. I've had to adjust, modify, amend, append, and completely toss the plan to start over a few times, but I do have a plan.

Currently my workbench looks like this:

DSC_0002.jpg

It works, but it's the first thing you see when you walk in the front door. I've simply taken over the dining room table. My wife is one who generously supports everything I do...almost. Not only does this look tacky and unprofessional, my wife deserves to have her table back.

I used to have another company which I operated for 11-years making high-end loudspeaker systems & kits which I sold internationally. When I closed the company in 2004 I essentially closed the door on my basement office and walked away, never expecting to have a use for it again. I have a use for it again.

I have a back door that clients could use if need be, that goes downstairs. Maybe 15' from the bottom of the stairs is the door to the fully enclosed and properly wired office.

DSC_0001.jpg

Standing in the doorway the room opens up.

DSC_0002.jpg

Looking immediately to the right are 3 shelving units with miscellaneous leftovers from days gone by.

DSC_0003.jpg

I would like to use one of these units as a server rack as I don't have one yet. Looking slightly to the left is a passage that opens to the other side of the room.

DSC_0004.jpg

Which again opens to where I want to place my server and other network gear.

DSC_0006.jpg

There are multiple outlets all around the room at just the right height for a workbench to be built underneath them. The shelf you see that runs the width of the house is at about 4' high and nearly 3'deep. It's all concrete. I might close that up for storage, but using it to place monitors and back stock might be a better use for it. This would be my main desk area as it was before.

DSC_0007.jpg

So, that's the plan. I really do have one. I put the walls up, wired, sheet rocked, painted this when I was younger and not broken like I am now. In fact, I'll nave to hire someone to come in and help move stuff around (or cart off) as I'm not able to. Once done, I can then build (have built) a workbench that runs the length of the back wall from the desk to the far corner. Nearly everything else is already in place. The desk, shelving, storage, even the file cabinets are already in place. All I need to do is get it cleaned up and have the bench put in. So, what do you all think of my plan?

Really, I do. At least that's what I've been telling my wife for over 25-years now. I've had to adjust, modify, amend, append, and completely toss the plan to start over a few times, but I do have a plan.

Currently my workbench looks like this:

View attachment 5581

It works, but it's the first thing you see when you walk in the front door. I've simply taken over the dining room table. My wife is one who generously supports everything I do...almost. Not only does this look tacky and unprofessional, my wife deserves to have her table back.

I used to have another company which I operated for 11-years making high-end loudspeaker systems & kits which I sold internationally. When I closed the company in 2004 I essentially closed the door on my basement office and walked away, never expecting to have a use for it again. I have a use for it again.

I have a back door that clients could use if need be, that goes downstairs. Maybe 15' from the bottom of the stairs is the door to the fully enclosed and properly wired office.

View attachment 5582

Standing in the doorway the room opens up.

View attachment 5583

Looking immediately to the right are 3 shelving units with miscellaneous leftovers from days gone by.

View attachment 5584

I would like to use one of these units as a server rack as I don't have one yet. Looking slightly to the left is a passage that opens to the other side of the room.

View attachment 5585

Which again opens to where I want to place my server and other network gear.

View attachment 5586

There are multiple outlets all around the room at just the right height for a workbench to be built underneath them. The shelf you see that runs the width of the house is at about 4' high and nearly 3'deep. It's all concrete. I might close that up for storage, but using it to place monitors and back stock might be a better use for it. This would be my main desk area as it was before.

View attachment 5587

So, that's the plan. I really do have one. I put the walls up, wired, sheet rocked, painted this when I was younger and not broken like I am now. In fact, I'll nave to hire someone to come in and help move stuff around (or cart off) as I'm not able to. Once done, I can then build (have built) a workbench that runs the length of the back wall from the desk to the far corner. Nearly everything else is already in place. The desk, shelving, storage, even the file cabinets are already in place. All I need to do is get it cleaned up and have the bench put in. So, what do you all think of my plan?
Sounds like an excellent plan. It's nice to have a formal place to work. It's also nice to be able to walk away from said place and leave work there.

I like the plan and it will give you a good head space to think clearly. I am doing that now, decluttering my life, not just house/storage etc.

You will probably end up getting rid of 90% of that clutter.

Take pics of precious stuff/frame that pic or make a book.
Donate
Sell
Trash it

I'm liking what I see there Mike.

I can see a huge area of a workshop there. Only consideration I can forsee, is clients coming down into your basement / workshop.

Does your home / business insurance cover or allow for this?. Have you thought about this?

That's bigger than my workshop so with the clutter gone and the right benches and shelves in place it will be an awesome place to work. Keep the pot plants.

ps. those amps and speakers you should hook up to the security system.

Uh, my wife got a kick out of your reference to pot plants, but those are actually Christmas cactus. ;)

Yeah, those are left-overs from my old business, as is the furniture and other stuff. Undecided what to do with that now.

I like the plan and it will give you a good head space to think clearly. I am doing that now, decluttering my life, not just house/storage etc.

You will probably end up getting rid of 90% of that clutter.

Take pics of precious stuff/frame that pic or make a book.
Donate
Sell
Trash it

Much of what you see (other than previous business stuff), is what's left of my mother's things. I was her caregiver when she lived with us until she died. It's long past time to unload much of that stuff.

I'm liking what I see there Mike.

I can see a huge area of a workshop there. Only consideration I can foresee, is clients coming down into your basement / workshop.

Does your home / business insurance cover or allow for this?. Have you thought about this?

I've only given it cursory consideration. Mainly because my work is primarily remote or onsite. That may change, of course, but for now I'm mainly concerned with getting the space converted to something usable. The biggest obstacle I face is my inability to do the work of getting it put together due to my health concerns. Once I figure that out I'll be able to move forward with the project. I've looked into insurance a couple of times, but the premiums aren't even remotely in the budget. Should - yes! Will - yes! Now - can't get there.

It's long past time to unload much of that stuff.

My mother is a bit of a "gatherer" of stuff too. She just moved and told me that she's now getting rid of the extra junk, doesn't want to haul it around anymore and I'm thinking...yes, do it now but after you pass, it will all go away anyway. I don't want any of her stuff to be honest. No one wants my stuff either. We all have too much stuff.

I haven't yet managed to get rid of much, but I decided at one point that I'd be better off getting rid of things and if I end up needing something back in the future, go buy it then.

It's long past time to unload much of that stuff.

My mother is a bit of a "gatherer" of stuff too. She just moved and told me that she's now getting rid of the extra junk, doesn't want to haul it around anymore and I'm thinking...yes, do it now but after you pass, it will all go away anyway. I don't want any of her stuff to be honest. No one wants my stuff either. We all have too much stuff.
Reminded me of one of the late great George Carlin's routines:

My current work space.

It's about 7*10 I think even prisoners get more space than I get.

I do hardly any in office work so it works ok. Have thought about renting office space but could save the money to pay down my mortgage much faster.
ffefb71d587ce0b96eaef5a189b16396.jpg

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Reactions: GTP
Back