Hp laptop repair help star wars edition

A

Angros

Hello all, I am in need of some advice regarding this Hp star wars edition laptop. Long story short, but a friend of mine had hard drive failure in their laptop. When I said their computer needed a new drive, they brought me this HP laptop saying that one day it just never turned on. I pulled it's drive and installed it into their computer and received this as payment.

I must say that I am not a pro. People have just been bringing me old laptops since I was younger and I've fixed them without thinking much about it, but this one is far newer than anything I have, so I am in need of some help.

Here is what I have been wondering about:

I bought a new charger and dc jack, and the board is getting power (been tracking it with a meter). I can not get a charging or power light however, and the wireless card is heating up. There's also a cap and an inductor above the wireless card that are getting very hot.

Sorry if I sound like a novice, but in this poorer area of Tennessee I only see the same few models of older Dell business laptops over and over, so a HP i5 computer is a whole new ballpark. I would really like to have a nice newer laptop like this.

Unfortunately a new board costs over $300, which I can't swing.

Back