[TIP] How To Fix Intel RST driver after SDI run; INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

phaZed

Reaction score
I just had this happen to me and was able to fix the problem, so I thought I would share.

This was on a Windows 10 Anniversary Edition machine.

After running Snappy Driver Installer(SDI) and allowing it to upgrade the Intel 8 Series/C220 SATA controller drivers, the computer would no longer boot. An INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE message appears after restarting. Startup repair and Automatic Repair fail. In my case, System Restore was not available - every restore point would fail within 30 seconds.

To fix this issue:
1. Go to Intel and get the latest RST drivers - make sure it's not the installer(setuprst.exe), rather, we want the files in a zip (f6flpy-x64.zip). Version 15.2.0.1020 is what I used and can be found here, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver
2.Boot into the Recovery Environment and open up a Command Prompt
3. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and rename/backup iaStorA.sys and any other iaStor* files (iaStorAV.sys, iaStorF.sys)
4.Copy the .SYS files from the RST zip file you downloaded to the C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder and Reboot. Windows will hopefully boot again and you can get on with life!

It's a simple fix for a seemingly devastating problem that can't be fixed any other way (That I have found) - so, I hope this helps a few of you! Good luck!

I've learned 2 important things about SDI

1) ALWAYS make a restore point first.
2) On Win10, let Windows update do it's thing first, then only use SDI to install missing drivers.

For a while, SDI seemed to crash 1 in 3 new Win10 installs we ran it on until we figured out #2.

You Sir, @phaZed are made of pure gold!
I had one on the bench that had this problem and I was scratching my head for the last two days over it! I was about to N & P!
Well; who woulda thunk it!
Nice share, thanks!

I just had this happen to me and was able to fix the problem, so I thought I would share.

After running Snappy Driver Installer(SDI) and allowing it to upgrade the Intel 8 Series/C220 SATA controller drivers, the computer would no longer boot. An INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE message appears after restarting. Startup repair and Automatic Repair fail. In my case, System Restore was not available - every restore point would fail within 30 seconds.

To fix this issue:
1. Go to Intel and get the latest RST drivers - make sure it's not the installer(setuprst.exe), rather, we want the files in a zip (f6flpy-x64.zip). Version 15.2.0.1020 is what I used and can be found here, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver
3. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and rename/backup iaStorA.sys and any other iaStor* files (iaStorAV.sys, iaStorF.sys)
4.Copy the .SYS files from the RST zip file you downloaded to the C:\Windows\System32\drivers folder and Reboot. Windows will hopefully boot again and you can get on with life!

It's a simple fix for a seemingly devastating problem that can't be fixed any other way (That I have found) - so, I hope this helps a few of you! Good luck!
Nice. Can I quote you on that?

Also, do you know what is the version of the drivers that failed?

Nice. Can I quote you on that?

Also, do you know what is the version of the drivers that failed?

Yes, please use this info as you see fit ;)

The version that SDI installed, that was problematic for me, was 14.8.12.1059 Dated 8/23/2016

I imagine it should have been the latest but I have become unsure after the multiple good and bad SDI's that are out there. I actually formatted the thumb drive that did this to me... it had the "Avast Auto Installer" version on it. I thought I had all my thumb drives corrected with the www.snappy-driver-installer.org SDI, but apparently not. *Note to self: Don't buy 6 identical Silicon Power 128GB USB 3.0 drives for 'benchin', even if they are on sale! :confused:

So, it very well could have been my fault for not noticing the SDI version :oops:

SDI Origin R543 seems to pickup the new driver correctly but is a bit confusing:
20170407_1918370af27.jpg

I don't think it's SDI's(Origin R543) problem but take notice of the "Version - 4.5.6.1004"

The "Installed Driver" IS 15.2.0.1020 from Intel as I manually placed it there... so perhaps Intel's versioning nomenclature has changed?
On another note, the next driver down in SDI, marked as an 'Older Driver' contains the 14.8.12.1059 bad driver... at least the versioning matches!

Ya, so update/fix your SDI's everyone! :)

Reactions: GTP
Too bad the "last known good configuration" option has been missing since Windows 8. Always saved my bacon in the past when an improper driver got installed. Thankfully improper driver installs that cause the system to fail to boot are much rarer in Windows 10.

Really? MS messed up something as basic as a
Too bad the "last known good configuration" option has been missing since Windows 8. ....

Really? Pffft - Hadn't even noticed (or needed yet I guess). Damn - Agreed! Made things easy on more than a few occasions.

To fix this issue:

OMG Finally someone with the same problem as me, but I just changed from Intel IRST premium to AHCI mode, but still everytime I choose Intel IRST premium it keep crashing and giving me blue screens (with the same message as you), also I noticed my laptop doesnt detect bootable usbs and cannot niether can make them, windows media creation tool just gives an error after some time... So my question is: should I follow the same steps as you? (since my problem started after some device manager manual random updates :v); I already found the iaStorF.sys files you mentioned, 3 in total for me iStorAVC.sys, iStorV.sys, iStorAC.sys, so I wanna know what to do with them, I mean rename them to what?, or should I just delete them and copy the new files?

OMG Finally someone with the same problem as me, but I just changed from Intel IRST premium to AHCI mode, but still everytime I choose Intel IRST premium it keep crashing and giving me blue screens (with the same message as you), also I noticed my laptop doesnt detect bootable usbs and cannot niether can make them, windows media creation tool just gives an error after some time... So my question is: should I follow the same steps as you? (since my problem started after some device manager manual random updates :v); I already found the iaStorF.sys files you mentioned, 3 in total for me iStorAVC.sys, iStorV.sys, iStorAC.sys, so I wanna know what to do with them, I mean rename them to what?, or should I just delete them and copy the new files?
Take your computer to a shop and get it fixed in your case.

Back