Hourly or Fixed Rate for Remote Support?

thwikehu1990

Reaction score
I've been a long time freelance computer technician, but now I'm starting a brick and mortar location. With a website and the works. I've done remote support work for various companies I've worked for, so I have the technical knowledge, just the fiscal knowledge.

It seems (including all of the companies I've worked for) everyone goes for the hourly rate. Why not a flat fee, especially if the fix is already something you have a flat fee for?

Can someone explain why I should charge per hour on remote support work?

I think a lot of clients will expect to be on the phone with you while you do it. Therefore, you need to use more of your undivided attention on them and can't be working on other things at the same time. I charge an hourly fee (reduced vs. my in home fee) most of the time but run flat fee specific promotions at times - like a tune-up promotion where I have a list of things I do so I get in, do them and move on.

It's a toss up, remote virus removals should be a flat fee and higher if done remotely as if they can be removed remotely, it will be faster probably. That's what we always figured back when I had stores...less hassle than dragging in the shop, unplugging everything, etc.

Outside of that, I say hourly for everything and manage expectations.

My hourly fees are now a bit different for my work. I have no flat fees, all hourly, but because so many of my jobs require now full backup before I perform work, my calendar is like swiss cheese. I have to start a job, prep and do all my pre-surgery, then backup, then schedule the real surgery later when the client is free and doesn't need the computer for awhile. I track time on these jobs and charge more now than a regular job. My regular is $139 and if someone hires me for an hour to fix all their Outlook issues, it's usually yep, us talking on the phone the whole time and me getting frustrated because of 2 things...

• No one has a correct password
  • Outlook throws up an error or glitch while I'm trying to do something else. Then moving the job to repairing that unexpected error and me telling the client why this makes my job hard and thank god for them, I'm fast to fix these pop up issues.

I charge hourly for remote support.. Obviously tunes up and such will take longer than setting up a wireless printer or something of that nature. You gotta guage that. There have been times with my known clients where I will do a tune up or a list of things they want me to do. They will get off their PC and leave their home or even go to bed. I leave a note that the work was done and e-mail the invoice.

Hourly for remote here as well. I usually charge by 30 minute increments for remote, on-site is hourly for first hour, then 30 min increments after.

Reactions: GTP
...snipped.. especially if the fix is already something you have a flat fee for?...snipped..

What does that mean? Do you charge a flat fee for onsite work? If so, that may be why you're asking this question.

And if your flat rate for certain things isn't less than what your hourly rate would be, then go ahead and charge a flat rate. The main thing is not to short change yourself, nor allow your client to think for a moment that your time/effort is less valuable simply because it's being provided remotely.

Here's why I charge hourly for remote work, rather than a flat fee (which is what I charge for bench work):
- Remote work is virtual onsite work. I charge hourly for onsite work, so why wouldn't I for remote work?
- The customer is still looking over your shoulder (even if you can't tell it's happening)
- If your customer stays on the phone, you still have to educate, entertain, and endure that enforced human interaction with a virtual stranger. There should definitely be a charge for that.
- You still have to concentrate/dedicate your time to this one customer. Sure it's a little more flexible than a real onsite, but not nearly as flexible as bench work. If you can't multitask your time, you should be compensated accordingly.
- You're more susceptible to "one more thing . . ." because the customer is often more intimately involved. Like an onsite.

Personally, my remote and my onsite hourly rates are identical. Including the same one hour minimum charge. Some customers might expect a break for remote service rather than onsite. After all, you don't have to drive there! But in my mind, BOTH the customer & I benefit from remote service. Sure, I don't have to drive, but the customer also doesn't have to put up with a stranger sitting in their office/bedroom/living room/dining room/kitchen/garage for any amount of time. So we both get to be a little more comfortable and relaxed in our own (separate) surroundings. Apart from that, onsites and remotes are basically identical in requirements so I'm fine with billing accordingly.

I charge reduced hourly fee and half of the time have to be on the phone with customers unless waiting for something long to complete, like a malware scan.

Back