Hope your not using windows media centre

Galdorf

Reaction score
It seems like Microsoft has already started stripping away features from Windows 7, as it is approaching its end of life deadline (January 14 2020). The shocking news is that Windows 7 users will no longer be able to download metadata from those services that are using Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player.

Same here, i've moved to Plex and it's the best solution for my media center, since i use a Apple TV Kodi is out of the question, wich is also a good option

Ditto on Plex.

Honestly, was anyone ever seriously using Media Player/Center for anything other than, "I clicked on a file"?

I had one customer that used it, and loved it. The machine died, got a fresh installation of Windows 10, Media Center was out the window and he left my office wondering what to do after my Plex suggestion. Even he knew, the thing was abandoned, and support going forward was an issue.

He was on Windows 8.1 too... the latest he could be.

Windows Media Center was the only decent media center software ever released. I've tried Plex, XBMC, and all the others and they all suck royal monkey ball$. Nowadays I say screw it to Media Center software and just use a keyboard and mouse. I play media files in Media Player Classic and use the streaming services with a standard web browser. It's not ideal but it's better than the mess that is Plex and other half-a$$ed alternatives.

Windows Media Center was the only decent media center software ever released. I've tried Plex, XBMC, and all the others and they all suck royal monkey ball$. Nowadays I say screw it to Media Center software and just use a keyboard and mouse. I play media files in Media Player Classic and use the streaming services with a standard web browser. It's not ideal but it's better than the mess that is Plex and other half-a$$ed alternatives.

With Plex you just have to waist some time configuring it, afterwards it’s super easy to mantain

With Plex you just have to waist some time configuring it, afterwards it’s super easy to mantain

Configure what? I just bought a lifetime pass, installed it, told it where my crap was and watched it work. The UI is simple enough that my 4 year old can get to his Mickey without parental involvement from his Linux Mint desktop I built out of scraps.

Honestly, I'd love to know why someone would call that "garbage".

I've got 500 movies, 2000 audio tracks, and 100 shorts... not to mention family videos and all sorts of other junk on that thing. All of it ripped with MakeMKV from media I've collected over the years. Goodness, so much money in this. The only thing I hate is matching up media that doesn't want to match.

Configure what? I just bought a lifetime pass, installed it, told it where my crap was and watched it work. The UI is simple enough that my 4 year old can get to his Mickey without parental involvement from his Linux Mint desktop I built out of scraps.

Honestly, I'd love to know why someone would call that "garbage".

I've got 500 movies, 2000 audio tracks, and 100 shorts... not to mention family videos and all sorts of other junk on that thing. All of it ripped with MakeMKV from media I've collected over the years. Goodness, so much money in this. The only thing I hate is matching up media that doesn't want to match.

Quality stream you want, in my case maximum, subtitles (I’m in Portugal ) and if i want them to be loaded in all videos (that have them) and that’s it ;)

I've only ever opened Windows Media Center accidentally.

I use VLC for playing stuff on all my PCs and laptops and Kodi on my dedicated HTPCs.

Still have a client that uses it every day to watch and record live tv in their lounge.
They love it.
Logitech harmony remote is all they need to control it, the tv and the Logitech surround sound system.
They have a couple of the old linksys media centre extenders in a couple of the bedrooms as well.
They have all of their music in there and their photos as well.
If someone can suggest a replacement that will work with the satellite tuner card, sky tv card (in an omnikey card reader) and the media extenders then I’d love to hear it!

better than the mess that is Plex and other half-a$$ed alternatives.

You must be doing something wrong. Plex is a dream to organize and keep track of your media. I keep a NAS at my office and stream on my Roku at home as if it were my own private Netflix server. I even signed up for a Plex Pass so I can create guest accounts and share home videos with friends and family.

There are plenty of good options for playback from a media library, but as @cyabro said there aren't any options for watching and recording live TV that are so easy to set up and use. There are many people still using WMC, including tech savvy.

There are plenty of good options for playback from a media library, but as @cyabro said there aren't any options for watching and recording live TV that are so easy to set up and use. There are many people still using WMC, including tech savvy.
I use Kodi combined with NextPVR for recording/watching over-the-air TV.

NextPVR can be used stand-alone too and is very simple to set up and use.

This thread has me thinking it's time to digitize all my media and go to Plex.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Back