Home Network Security Devices

PcTek9

Reaction score
Lately we are seeing a plethora of new home network security devices on the market. Tiny devices like the 1.5 inch firewalla cube, which sends notices to your android or iphone if someone hacks into your home network and gives you the immediate option to block them, the same device can monitor for attacks from remote ip's and automatically block them. Similiar devices like cujo, rattrap, dojo and others. I think rattrap is the only one that plugs in between a cablemodem and the users home router, and like firewalla it has the very well designed phone app to instantly alert you to many issues. I think rattrap is about $180 where firewalla seems to float around $115 us dollars. Most of these new devices including akita and even bitdefenders box 2 have a wide variety of protection technology built in. Some have ad blocking, and or antivirus and antimalware, and or threat analysis and or packet sniffing of actual or metadata, etc. etc.
I do really like the fact that rattrap sits between the modem and the router, this means it can intercept ALL network traffic, however it doesn't report your personal data to the cloud but uses metadata which means your privacy remains intact. But compare the features and see if one of the above devices is right for your clients.

** edit: i forgot to mention some of these companies have business protection devices for slightly more.

Last edited:
Back