Resource icon

Hiring and Firing as a Computer Business Owner

The next resource article post should be about the Pros and cons of hiring a Tech or a Non-tech then training....I know you would have some vast knowledge to impart on that subject..lol

Hire 3. Fire 2.

That's what I do when hireling freelance writers / virtual assistants / etc.

But I don't think that will go well with hiring people that actually show up at your shop ;)

I recently changed the way I interview, which included having my wife play the part of the customer with our kids around. Had the prospect come with me to do an average Tune-Up with possible upgrade referral. My wife would answer the door I would introduce myself as the tech and the prospect as such, she would lead us into a den where we have an old Dell 2 Core that we use for this purpose. If the tech knew what he was doing I would allow him to show me his experience otherwise walk him through the process. It was nice to see how the prospect would interact with the customer and our children that were usually around. I would also walk out to the truck for 10 minutes so my wife could talk to the individual and see how he reacted to children in this environment. To say this has increased my retention of quality works by almost 70%, the best reaction is when they find out it was my family they were helping.

I had recently a prospect who failed when he told my daughter to go away and leave him alone when he was working on the computer, and since she was 7 she ran off crying and told my wife he hated children. Since I have 400+ residential customers who I service in their homes this kind of attitude isn't something I can allow in my business so this has been a great opportunity to see the way people handle children or possibly customers who want to know everything you are doing.

I had recently a prospect who failed when he told my daughter to go away and leave him alone when he was working on the computer, and since she was 7 she ran off crying and told my wife he hated children.

It depends how you handle it. It's generally not a good idea to interact with the child about it, but rather the parent. I'm not too fond of kids myself, but I have VERY thick skin. So long as they're not drooling on me or interfering with the work, I'm good. If the child is out of control, I discreetly suggest to the parent that they should do something with their child. Like take it into another room or give it their smartphone or something. I have NEVER made a child cry, and I keep my general interaction with them to a minimum.

True, pretty much all we have my daughter or son do is ask questions like will it work better, if they like working on computers, very general stuff while my wife is there then they leave. To me in a residential environment these are challenges that will be meet at some point and it helps to judge the character of a person. If they can't deal with children they could ask the parent to please have the child to be moved to another room so you could focus on repair. However there is no reason to be rude or mean to a child that it's just curious.

Back