Having fits with new build

TechLady

Reaction score
This has been giving me fits longer than I'd like to admit. Brand new build with a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 motherboad (LGA 1151), and a Gigabyte AMD R7 360 128 Bit GDDR5 2GB video card. Seasonic 750W Power Supply.

Can load fresh install of Windows 10 just fine. Once installed, things get weird. Was humming along starting to check off things to install with Ninite and the signal to the monitor blinked, cut out, and never came back. Since that point it will show BIOS options on boot, the beginning of the Win 10 loading (the spinning dots), and then the signal cuts out. Will never display desktop...just "no signal." Nothing seems to change this. Default monitor signal is set to the right port in BIOS...have reseated many times...no beeps or anything.

No idea what's going on. Help...have to deliver this to customer tomorrow :(

P.S. Windows IS loading successfully, because I can shut it down blind with keystrokes.

Last edited:
Is there a BIOS update for the board? Does the motherboard have onboard graphics? If so remove the GPU and see if the onboard works? Did you install latest driver for the GPU?

Is there a BIOS update for the board?

Yes, although none seem to address this issue and since I can't see what I'm doing...

Does the motherboard have onboard graphics? If so remove the GPU and see if the onboard works?

Yes, has onboard, and have removed video card and still get absolutely nothing. Which is weird. Cannot get a signal even with onboard video.

Did you install latest driver for the GPU?

Haven't been able to see long enough to ever do that. Tried a HDMI cable on a different monitor a few minutes ago and got horrid red stripes and some blinking, but that cut out and since then it's been no signal again. Can't get it to display anything now.

Have even reinstalled Windows a couple times on the off chance something got corrupted, but I wind up right back in this spot every time.

Last edited:
If this was Win7 I'd say boot on only one stick of RAM and see if that does it. But I haven't seen that problem with Win10 yet though.

Sounds like an incompatible display mode/res setting. Have you tried another monitor? Can you get into Safe Mode?

I like this reply.

Also, I wonder if it may simply be a borked install of Win 10? I've had similar oddities with bad installs of other O.S's. You mention that the BIOS display is fine, but as soon as the O.S. loads, the problems begin. Feels like a bad install to me. I suppose hardware, such as faulty RAM may be a cause as well, but I think the problem would then be present in the BIOS too.

She said she tried it via the Graphic card, Built-in Video, and HDMI and all had the same problem. It sounds like the common denominator is the display it's self. I find it really hard to believe the same problem would happen on three different video sources.

She said she tried it via the Graphic card, Built-in Video, and HDMI and all had the same problem. It sounds like the common denominator is the display it's self. I find it really hard to believe the same problem would happen on three different video sources.
I don't. If Windows, in it's infinite wisdom, installs the wrong graphic/motherboard drivers for you in the background after the initial installation then you will "suddenly" lose the display. The fact that the display disappears during the startup sequence again is pointing to dodgy drivers.

Have you tried:
Safe Mode
Linux
SDI
Restore points

I don't. If Windows, in it's infinite wisdom, installs the wrong graphic/motherboard drivers for you in the background after the initial installation then you will "suddenly" lose the display. The fact that the display disappears during the startup sequence again is pointing to dodgy drivers.

Have you tried:
Safe Mode
Linux
SDI
Restore points

Each video output would use different drivers. So you really think it has loaded three different bad drivers?

Each video output would use different drivers.
I am not intimate with Windows' video flow, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a common point early in the processing chain. Further, I can see the possibility of a generic Windows file being replaced with a corresponding file from a video driver installation at that same common point.

It's entirely possible Windows is trying to use a resolution or refresh rate the monitor can't handle. Most monitors will say on the screen "out of range" or a message about the resolution, but I've used a few that won't tell you that. I would get to the F8 boot menu and pick "Enable low-resolution video".

Booting from a live cd should help narrow down the cause.

Sounds like an incompatible display mode/res setting.
It's entirely possible Windows is trying to use a resolution or refresh rate the monitor can't handle.

It's for exactly this reason that I keep a twenty-year-old multiscan CRT around the workshop - it'll handle pretty much any signal from DC to daylight and also shows the resolution and horizontal/vertical refresh rates it's being given. We only use it once every few months but it's worth its substantial weight in gold.

Last edited:
I have seen similar issues with newer mobos that have intel onboard graphics and (so far) AMD addon cards . Basically if the AMD card is preferred in the bios, but the intel onboard is left enabled, you can see the post screens, windows loading, but as soon as it should display login, etc the monitor blacks out. Only way I have gotten around that is to either completely disable the intel onboard video chipset in the bios, or set the intel onboard as the preferred video source if you need them both enabled. If you only want your addon-card as the only video source, I would look for an option in the bios to specifically disable the onboard chipset and see if that helps.

^^^ What @putz said. His post reminded me that I had this/a similar problem where the customer said the screen went blank, but on my system it didn't. Customer had two monitors (HDMI and DVI) and I used one (DVI). Problem was with the primary versus secondary monitor selection (and other details I don't recall and neglected to add to my QB invoice notes). Perhaps he had one (HDMI) and I used DVI, and the primary monitor was set to DVI...or something like that. o_O

I have seen similar issues with newer mobos that have intel onboard graphics and (so far) AMD addon cards . Basically if the AMD card is preferred in the bios, but the intel onboard is left enabled, you can see the post screens, windows loading, but as soon as it should display login, etc the monitor blacks out.

That's useful information, but unfortunately:

Yes, has onboard, and have removed video card and still get absolutely nothing.

(Don't you just hate it when the facts get in the way of a really good theory?)

Sorry for disappearing for a bit--have been sick. Will test your theories tomorrow!

Looks like @Moltuae and @mikeroq may have been on to something. Ripped monitor off my own system and am now getting a signal from the video card at least. Only other thing I changed was enabling the XHCI handoff in the BIOS but personally I don't think that did it.

(Still don't understand why it would decide to cut the signal so suddenly previously, though. Usually if it's not going to work it won't work from the get-go...wtf).

XHCI Handoff is to do with USB. Only thing I can think of is that Windows downloaded the VGA drivers in the background while you were doing other things and then upped the screen res beyond your monitor?

Back