[SOLVED] Gmail login not working within Outlook

If I were in your position I would try it on another computer with the same software and / or a separate user account on the existing computer. That would establish if there is some underlying compatibility with the combination of software and online services. If that works then move on to fixing it within the existing user account.

The user base of Outlook is immense, and the number among that user base that accesses multiple accounts that require different common access methods is also immense.

But, of course, I vehemently disagree with all who assert Outlook is like "oil and water" with IMAP and POP. That's the vast majority of the setups I've been doing for year

Oh I know there is a huge user base for it in all mixed environments, but 30 years in this industry, seeing the problems and complaints from people (including a strong hatred from many IT professionals) when Outlook is in a POP/IMAP (residential grade email) environment...and the problems that very frequently surface, just shows where Outlook shines, and where it does not.

Outlook gets cranky with IMAP mailboxes that get large...often stops showing new emails or just goes into various states of "hanging".
Outlook works flawless with massive mailboxes on Exchange.
Calendars and contacts are separate in Outlook when setup with POP/IMAP. Calendars are contacts are built into the mailbox when Outlook connects to Exchange. No need to backup anything at all on the workstation side.

I will stick to Outlook connected to Exchange all day long....which it was , without question, designed for out of the box.

Last edited:
I will stick to Outlook connected to Exchange all day long....which it was , without question, designed for out of the box.

I can't argue that, when that option exists.

In the market segment I work in, it doesn't except very, very rarely.

I'm not a fan of Outlook, period, but so many people are used to it "from the office" when they happen to have it on a machine at home and still want to use an email client this is generally what they want set up, and I can't blame them. But that's where personal accounts instantly come into the picture, and they're virtually never Exchange access protocol.

I think Outlook is OK if used with an outlook.com lot hotmail.com address as I think it uses Exchange protocols.

Designed initially for Exchange when released 25 years ago (Outlook 97). I believe Outlook 98 and higher supported IMAP (from 1998). I don't think it can still be said that Outlook is 'designed for Exchange' when IMAP has been part of its 'design' for that long.

It might well be true that it has issues with IMAP, and they should be fixed. Outlook is included with 365 Personal/Family so it's history of Exchange support is irrelevant, there are many home users. I find that lots of retired people use it, having used it for years in their career.

I personally use Outlook with cheap IMAP email hosting and the email sync works well. I have a free outlook.com account in Outlook too (Exchange protocol), so I can sync contacts with that. I have other issues though, like search not finding emails that arrived a few days before and are still sitting in my inbox.

Designed initially for Exchange when released 25 years ago (Outlook 97). I believe Outlook 98 and higher supported IMAP (from 1998). I don't think it can still be said that Outlook is 'designed for Exchange' when IMAP has been part of its 'design' for that long.

When I say "out of the box"...and "first, and foremost"...both of those refer back to original/first version...yes, in Office 97 (back when we had to delete the OSA and Findfast services).

Microsoft home/family get you an Outlook.com address which is....on 365...which is Exchange.

Fact==> All of Outlooks components are designed to interface with Exchange...all that data is kept in the mailbox on the Exchange server. Contacts, address book, calendar, all primary mail folders and custom mail folders the end user creates under them, tasks, notes, nickname cache, heck even the email signature now. And robust collaboration services, abilities to work with other users mailboxes within the organization, interface with groups on the mail server, etc. All of these things I just listed.....no able to happen with GMail, POP, AOL, snet.net, comcast.net, etc etc etc. Using Outlook for those is like having a Bentley or Porsche or Ferrari that's just limited your front porch and you are not able to drive it out of your yard and onto the street...a huge waste. And an unhappy car. All of those functions/services I just listed at the beginning of this paragraph....you're not able to utilize. The address book gets stuck being a local file, the calendar gets stuck being a local file. And everything else is crippled/limited, basically useless. And forget trying to really sync Outlook on your computer, with Outlook on your phone...to access the same calendar and contacts. Yeah...you can squeeze the email to work...but that's about it. Or you're stuck trying to wrestle things to work with some cheesy 3rd party app....which likely will break with the next Office update.

Just because you sometimes "can" get something to work...doesn't mean you "should".

Last edited:
Just because you sometimes "can" get something to work...doesn't mean you "should".

Yet, the existence, over the long term, and success of those `cheesy third-party apps` which have worked pretty darned well for a very long time puts lie to your position.

No one is arguing what Outlook's initial design intent was. But it is inane to even try to claim that a massive user base does not exist, and will not continue to exist, who can and do use it divorced from Exchange, and do so quite happily.

Microsoft has chosen to try to keep Outlook, "out of the box," from playing well with anything but Exchange. Others, who for whatever reason had to use or preferred to use Outlook when Exchange was not in the picture weren't having it, aren't having it, and won't be having it.

Those `cheesy third-party apps` have a massive user base that would never have come into existence had Microsoft done with its premier email client what virtually every other email client in existence does with grace. It was, and remains, an obstinant choice on Microsoft's part, and the clever have "found a way" for decades now to get at the things they want and need when they will never be using Exchange.

As an aside, it astounds me just how "Apple Borg-like" the biggest cheerleaders for Microsoft 365 have become. It's not that it's not a great ecosystem, because it is, but not everyone wants to put all of their proverbial eggs into Microsoft's basket. I don't use it because, as an individual user, I just have no use for the vast majority of it, and I hate subscription services. There are myriad other reasons that many do not want to go Microsoft 365 and never, ever will (I may, eventually, but I know of others who just won't).

@britechguy M365 gets the push it does because there is no other ecosystem on the planet that does what it does. And not using it, even as a single user is denying yourself access to a bucket of automation. BUT, such automation means increase in time, and by extension productivity. Your business doesn't run in such a way that the increase in question is needed or wanted, so you're free to wander about and do whatever.

However the fact remains, if your day is time constrained and you're a business owner, and you don't have your business leveraging M365 heavily, you're simply not doing yourself any favors. As for the eggs in MS's basket comment, I'll just also point out this is painting an picture of blatant ignorance on your part. It is once again, as I've told you before, very similar to saying vaccines do not work. It's lunacy, and it illustrates ignorance of what M365 is, how it's built on top of Azure, How Azure is architected, and how Microsoft has the entire system built such that it's REALLY HARD for it all to fail at the same time.

That platform has been online publicly since June of 2011. In the almost 11 years since then, it's never been "globally down." Despite the entire planet's worth of bad actors attempting to make it so. Google nor Amazon can make the same claims. M365 has had its share of issues, and is far from a perfect platform, but it's also well proven reliable at this point. So reliable that governments around the world are using it too.

You get what you pay for.
In MS's case you get what you pay for, if you're talented enough to know the product well enough. (Thus is always the case though right? Think about Windows in this space)
In Google's case you get what you pay for, if you're willing to live inside their box (Same for Apple)
In Amazon's case you also get what you pay for, meanwhile they're handing you rope to not only hang yourself, but everyone else you know while you're at it. Once could rightfully make the case that Microsoft is doing the same thing... but M365 / Azure is more structured than AWS is, so I feel it's easier to "get started" on Azure. Doesn't mean that you cannot do amazing things with AWS though!

I'll just also point out this is painting an picture of blatant ignorance on your part. It is once again, as I've told you before, very similar to saying vaccines do not work. It's lunacy, and it illustrates ignorance of what M365 is, how it's built on top of Azure, How Azure is architected, and how Microsoft has the entire system built such that it's REALLY HARD for it all to fail at the same time.

And I've said, and will say, this analogy is utterly without merit.

I have never said anything about "failure all at one time." Ever. But Microsoft owns the M365 ecosystem lock, stock, and barrel. There is no arguing that. And some people don't, and won't ever, be willing to put all their eggs in Microsoft's basket.

Technology is much like investing in that diversification is virtually always preferable to single-stock over the long haul.

So would you please, for the love of God, stop with the stupidity that is comparing what I'm saying to vaccinations or vaccines in any way, shape, or form. It is completely, utterly inane.

@britechguy this market is made out of large players owning things, you cannot exist within it to any degree without being owned by someone.

If you're on Android, Google has a tracking device with your name on it.
If you're on iOS, Apple has a tracking device with your name on it.

The two companies buy access from each other so both get tracking devices with your name on it.

Microsoft is the oddball in this space trying to work with the above two ecosystems, while presiding over the slow decline of their own. Meanwhile all the above is happening, businesses are happily stuffing their financial data into Quickbooks Online without a care that after they do they own their own financial data even less than they own the images they gave to Facebook or Twitter.

So yes, I'm right back to you being an anti-vaxer, because you refuse to see the reality of this situation. And instead of choosing a corporate master that will give you table scraps, you're choosing the one that doesn't feed you at all. Which is what happens when you use any "free" email platform for business purposes. Or when you use a platform that refuses to give you access, like Apple and Google tech.

The ideology is as harmful to you and your clients as an anti-vaxer's is to everyone around them. The only difference is the scale.

We're done here. You are just being stupid. Period. End of sentence.

No reasonable person could possibly interpret what I have written, both in this topic and over time, in the way you insist on doing. That's now your problem and will no longer be mine. I won't respond to anything with that stupidity in it again. So spout away if you must.

Back