Fab's Auto backup

Fred Claus

Reaction score
Anyone know about these file transfer programs? I've been using Fabs for a couple years now, and love it. A client of mine wants to buy EaseUS PCTrans instead. Does anyone know how they compare to Fabs?

Is that a program that moves programs as well as data so you don't have to reinstall anything? Run like the wind away from those. They are disasters in a box. You will be chasing weird little problems for the entire life of the new computer.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure I was correct. The only way I know to move apps as well is with a full image backup. I will insist on him getting Fabs instead.

Seriously not liking this 7 version. Was easier the way it was before, it is asking for a .conf file. My backup does not even have one. With v6 was click restore>find backup archive> restore done. Now it is just long-winded and never find this .conf file!

Last edited:
Seriously not liking this 7 version. Was easier the way it was before, it is asking for a .conf file. My backup does not even have one. With click restore>find backup archive> restore done. Now it is just long-winded and never find this .conf file!
Sorry if you don't like it. I had to do it this way because of the ability to restore several use profiles at once. 6 could not do that. Now, if you don't have this file, it means that something went wrong when you backed up as it's created at the end of the process. I could change that a little bit so the file is created as soon as it starts the job.

This file should be located inside "X:\Path_To_Your_Backup\YYYY-MM-DD\Computer_Name" folder. If it is really not there, you can create one at this exact place (or depending to your backup configuration, in the folder where you find folders like "User_Name_1", "User_Name_X", "PUBLIC".

Here is how the folders structure should look like :

Code:
X:\
|__[PATH_TO_YOUR_BACKUP]
   |__[YYYY-MM-DD]
     |__[COMPUTER_NAME]
        |
        |__[ADMIN]
        |  |__[archive]
        |
        |__[USER_NAME1]
        |  |__[archive]
        |
        |__[PUBLIC] (if you backed up public stuff)
        |  |__[archive]
        |
        |__Backup.conf
Here is a Backup.conf file content example :
Code:
[ADMIN]
ArchivePath=ADMIN\archive

[USER_NAME1]
ArchivePath=USER_NAME1\archive

[PUBLIC]
ArchivePath=PUBLIC\archive
Create this using notepad and save it as "Backup.conf". Then you'll be able to restore what you have in this backup

Last edited:
Hey, been a Fabs user for years also. I haven't used the new 7 Backup for a while, but the couple of times I did, it didn't have the screen at the end letting me know it had finished, it just shut down. So I went back to using Version 6 for the basic stuff. I just got the newest update of 7, does it have an end screen? Scared to use it on a clients computer without the ending screen as I do many computers at once and can't tell if it shut down mid transfer or not.

Yeah, it happened 2 times in a row with 2 different systems. Came back to them and it had just closed. Might have been a bad download or something, not sure. Just went back to using 6 and then forgot to download a newer version.

Yeah, it happened 2 times in a row with 2 different systems. Came back to them and it had just closed. Might have been a bad download or something, not sure. Just went back to using 6 and then forgot to download a newer version.
Like in 6, there are some options to set:
- Do nothing when finished: the program waits for your action
- Play a sound when finished: to warn you at the end of the process
- Shutdown computer when finished
- Email log when finished
- Play sound and email the log when finished* - - Email the log and shutdown computer when finished
I guess you had the third one selected so it shut down the system when done.

Thanks for the reply. Never have anything bad to say about your software and it may well have been user error on my part. It had just unnerved me as it was the first time using the new version. You always have a customer in me, I am a die hard fan. Your software saves soooo much time. Drew.

Thanks for the reply. Never have anything bad to say about your software and it may well have been user error on my part. It had just unnerved me as it was the first time using the new version. You always have a customer in me, I am a die hard fan. Your software saves soooo much time. Drew.
No problem. If you encounter an issue or you just have a question, don't remain stuck. Just ask! ;)

Last edited:
Back